Chapter 10

"I can't believe he asked me out!" Sam didn't ask Coral out when he set out to before, but just after we had finished the rehearsal, apparently Coral slipped and Sam caught her, and he suddenly spilled that he wanted to go on a date with her. Faith now owes me 20 bucks.

"Me neither! I thought he never would!" Faith whispers.

"It's okay, right? Us going on a date?"

"How many times do I need to say it? It's fine!"

"Can you guys shut up? I'm trying to get Dani solo ready. Shouldn't you be out doing your jobs?" Christina silently pulls at my already matted with hairspray hair.

3 dances down. 3 dances to go.

Both girls skitter out of the room, to continue with their jobs.

There are a millions of butterflies in my stomach, making me feel both giddy and nauseous.

The performance before my solo just started, signalling that I have 2 minutes to finish getting ready.

"Done!" Christina dashes my hair with hairspray and runs out of the room. She has been running out as soon as she is finished with every style, because although she enjoys it, she is also enjoying seeing the performers. I don't think she minds though. It can also be a minute run to get to the doors she can enter the floor of the hall, and as she doesn't want to miss a second of my performances, it can be a rush.

Stripping out of my dress, I pull off my bra as well and put on my solo costume. It's lightness makes me feel cool and weightless as I slowly walk out to side stage.

A music performance is happening right now, so I stand side stage and stretch as they play some of the last notes. Faith taps me lightly in the back and whispers good luck. Ms Blakeson looks on with pride as she watches the band perform, but as soon as she notices I am ready, she pulls me into a good luck embrace.

Some of the little kids have never seen this dance before, and as we have lots of kids that want to apparently see me perform, the wings are crowded with bodies. But somehow it is silent. I can hear the audience clapping for the band as they stand up and bow, leaving their instrument on their chairs and walk up on stage into the wings.

My cue.

Without the curtains closing, I walk delicately into my starting position. My hand is throbbing, but it doesn't bother me. I know this needs to be the best performance I have ever given. I need to put my soul into this dance. I can see the audience slightly as I walk across the stage, my wavy ponytail slightly swishing behind me. Everything is silent. It is almost like everybody is holding their breath. I just hope I do not waste it.

I'm trying to even my breathing. I'm not nervous, but the adrenaline in my body is rocketing so sky high that I'm finding it hard to stay still in my starting position. I am laying with my back hard up against the stage floor and my hands reaching up with both wrists pushed together. Ignoring the ache in my hand from having it flexed. I let it fall just a little more closed to relieve the pain. I have my eyes closed, so I don't see the lights come up, but I feel the heat from them begin to lay all over my body. People are clapping, and my heart is thudding in my chest even louder, the adrenaline pushing me to start.

I resist.

I wait.

Controlling my breathing, I wait until I hear the opening bars of my music. I count my queue in my head.

5, 6, 7, 8.

I breathe in slow to compose myself

But the bleeding heart I left on the shelf