Chapter 29

"I think I'm actually going to be sick."

"Dani-"

"No Joel. I think I will."

"Look away then stupid." Both our eyes snap to Dr Peterson. His black pointed shoes click against the laminate floor of his office. "The quicker we get this off the quicker I can get it cleaned up, and we can get the new one on."

Sliding himself forward on the wheely chair, he gets the tools ready to cut of my cast.

Apparently, even though my wrist needs to be casted for atleast the next 3 weeks, as the swelling continues to go down, the wrist needs to be checked on, and the cast needs to be re-done.

"I thought you were good with pain. And you've already had one of these like... 2 weeks ago."

"Yeah... But that doesn't mean I like it." Clenching my eyes, my mind tries to block out the vibrations of the tiny saw on my hand.

My phone starts buzzing uncontrollably in my pocket. Ignoring it I grit my teeth as the saw continues to cut through the cast. As soon as my phone finishes buzzing, Joel's starts. Bringing his phone to his ear, he quickly exits the room.

"Okay. Your hand is looking good. Lets get it cleaned up, and remove the last of these stitches, before casting it back up. Looking at it, I would say at least another 3 weeks in the cast, but probably four." He quickly rubs a damp cloth up and down my arm. I don't dare look as he takes out the stitches, or re-casts, not wanting to know how disgusting it looks under there.

"Black again?" I nod. The black stayed nice throughout the last two weeks.

As soon as he finishes, Joel walks back in, his face shielding the conversation of the call.

"Okay. I will see you in a couple of weeks." Exchanging goodbyes, we walk out of Dr Peterson's office.

Tugging my cardigan around me further, I grasp at the door handle of the car door too early, feeling nothing happen, as I tug desperately.

"What was the call about?"

Joel shrugged, clicking the keys of the car. "Just Christina."

Sliding into the car, I let Joel concentrate on the road, as I pull out my phone.

1 missed call, Connor Marklin

"Connor called me. I wonder why?"

"Umm..." Joel turned the wheel, moving out of car park.

"Maybe when we get home you should go and see him. I need to talk to Melissa anyway." Nodding, I unlock my phone, letting social media alerts flood in.

"What do you know?" Joel's grip was tight, he looked sad, and worried.

"It's really not my place to say Dani."

"Is it about Connor?" Joel flicked his eyes briefly to land on me, filled with sympathy.

My chest suddenly felt bad. Why did I have to be in a doctor's appointment, and couldn't answer the phone? What's wrong?

"We're here." Pulling me out of my trance, I glance up, seeing the Marklin's front door to my right.

There's a blue, white and red flag swaying out the front.

That could only mean one thing.

The door was open, so as soon as I got out of my car, I ran in. Christina was sitting in the coach in the living room, with a sobbing Melissa in her arms. Looking me in the eyes, she motions up the stairs, to Connors room.