Chapter 28

"Dani! Happy birthday!" Lucy came running at me as soon as we entered the Marklin residence.

Connor, partially ignoring his sister, whispered in my ear softly, "Hang here for a second. I need to get your birthday present."

Letting go of my hand, he walks down the same hallway his sister was running down.

My casted hand was secured in the sling again, as the throbbing on the ride in the car got pretty unbearable. I also bumped my thumb on the door handle, meaning it was aching anyway. You could see the yellowing bruise at the base of the cast at the thumb,

"The pink is gone!"

"Yeah. They ran out of pink when I went yesterday."

"That's okay. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Lucy hugs my legs, letting me bend down and awkwardly pat her back.

"Dani! Happy Birthday dear! How are you?" Melissa walks into view. She walks up to me, and embraces me in a large hug.

"I'm good thanks." Melissa's hug was warm, and comforting, something that I want to savor forever.

"Are you staying for long Dani? Maybe we could play-" Lucy's eyes light up in excitement.

"Sorry Lucy, Dani and I need to go in a few minutes. We just came so we could say hi, and I could give her her present."

"Ahhhh. Okay then. Hey Luc, why don't we leave them. I'm sure Dani will come over to play soon." Connor stood half covering himself in the doorway, whilst Melissa escorted Lucy out of the room.

"So, I know it's not much... but I didn't want to give it to you before." Revealing himself, Connor held in his hand the most beautiful bouquet I have ever seen.

There was patches of beautiful cream, orange and dark pink tulips, as well as some blush roses. Ferns hung out from the bottom, framing the flowers. Little spikes of maroon flowers shot out from odd patches, making sure your eyes caught the attention of every flower.

"These are stunning Connor." I was quite literally blown away.

"And here you go." Nervously, he held out a A3 size envelope.

The was slightly tattered at the edges, but had my name delicately written across the front is an odd font.

Opening it carefully, I pick out a piece of paper, which read as a card.

'Dear Dani,

Happy 17th. Can't believe you're older than me! Only by 7 weeks!

Thank you for spending your day with me.

Lots of birthday wishes,

Connor'

Smiling, I grab the stiffer piece of paper out of the bag. On the side I looked at, there was a small signature and dating. Turning it over, I nearly dropped the flowers in my hand.

"You did not. Connor... this is beautiful!" Locking eyes with him, my smile exceeds my face.

He had drawn a photograph of me on stage, at Ms Blakeson's showcase. It was during my solo, and watercolors splashed the sheet perfectly, highlighting the cream in the outfit, and the black of the stage.

I was in the most beautiful position, something I would never think my body would do.

"Did you just remember this?" Unable to tear my eyes away from the artwork, I gape at his ability. It was so life like.

"No. I took a photograph. Well actually, I took lots of photographs, but that one was the best one." Pulling out his phone, I can hear him type in his password. Removing my eyes from the artwork, I look at the photograph Connor had pulled up on the screen.