Chapter 31

The hall was crowded, although people hadn't been allowed in yet. Every senior student had a little booth, the visual art and photography students being slightly bigger than the drama and dance booths. Although, the music kids didn't have a booth, because they were performing, and had no paperwork for people to take interest in. The drama and dance kids had their portfolios out on show in their booths, but no one had to stand with their booth, and also, they were all performing tonight.

The energy was tight. Sitting in the audience seats waiting for the drama acts to finish was tedious and tense. All the performers around me were feeling the same.

Almost.

But they didn't have the stress that we had tonight. They only had their grades, and final outcomes for the year to rely on.

We had our future.

Coral was playing with a piece of string tirelessly. She had been doing so for the last half hour, with no rest.

Mia was on her phone, playing mindless games to pass the time, but we could see the battery sign get lower and lower every minute.

Faith was sitting with Paige on the floor to the edge of the hall, both of the giggling to each other about random topics to try and distract themselves. Paige was all ready to do my dance, and she was perfect. That was one thing to help put my mind at ease.

I, myself, was sitting in the seats, carefully positioned over Connor, playing with his hand in mine, savouring the warmth and comfort it held. My mind was racing, through every outcome, and everything that could go wrong. Anxiety was bubbling up, but trying to keep it at bay wasn't as hard as it once was.

Connor on the other hand was a wreck. He had yet to set his display up, although the doors would be opening in less than 10 minutes. He didn't want anyone to see it before the doors opened, so he wouldn't have to hear their harsh words. Rachel and Taylor were somewhere in the hall, sitting with their group, with their half-hearted displays up in a little clump together.

Art was another bludge subject at school. Most people took it because they thought it was easy. Splash some paint on a canvas and call it 'contemporary'.

Connor had asked to be separated from theirs, so his empty table was on the other side of the hall.

"Connor?" He looked up from our hands, "You are going to have to set up your display now you know. Your teacher will kill you." Cracking a little laugh, Connor inhales, letting reality seep in.

"Yeah. I guess," He releases his grip, tensing to stand up, "You going to be alright? You are looking a bit pale."

My mind fogs, letting the doubts cloud it. But I nod, giving him a little nudge to go and get ready. He walks away, towards the back of the room. I sit back in the uncomfortable chair, closing my eyes, trying to clear my mind. Someone taps my shoulder behind me, stirring me from my short lived attempt to relax.

"Danielle, you guys should probably go out the back and start getting ready. We are about to let people in, and so you have got about an hour until the concert starts." Ms Mayer smiling softly at me. When we told her what was happening, she automatically went into protective mother mode, announcing it to the rest of the music class with glee. We were all really close in our music class, so no one was jealous, everyone was really understanding, and the girls even offered to share a dressing room with the guys so that we could have one to ourselves.

"Thanks Ms. We will get going in a second."

"I'll come and see you before everything starts, but you girls will do great. Just think of it as nothing else but a class assessment, because in all honesty, that's all it is, you just happen to also have some important people watching as well. But you all love performing, so don't be worried."