Chapter 19

"He said what?!" Faith screams into my ear.

"Yeah..." 3 girls, screaming into my ear.

Never again will I use headphones on a group call.

"Our little Dani Boy has a crush!" Coral shouts.

A loud shrill is echoes through the speaker.

"That was the end of lunch bell Dani, so we have got to go, but we will all talk later. And we are coming to visit you on the weekend no matter what. Okay?"

"Okay. Bye guys. Have fun."

After getting home late last night, both Connor and I crashed. Although we got home late, it was still before midnight, so a acceptable amount of sleep was had for Connor. Me of course hardly slept at all. My arm was aching, and my head was running 1000 miles a second replaying the events of the night out in my head.

Connor likes me.

"Danielle? What time was your doctor's appointment?" Melissa came into the room, followed by an energetic Lucy.

I had spent the morning playing with her, but at around 11 I retired to my room to get some of my homework done.

"It's at 2:30." I had an appointment with Dr Peterson today, as a post operation check up. The surgeon said that I didn't have to go back to him, as long as I did the required physiotherapy when my hand was healed enough, and nothing felt off. But he did say I had to go to Dr Peterson and get the stitches looked at and a proper cast put on.

"Is it alright if Connor picks you up? Lucy has a play date this afternoon which I forgot about and I need to drop her off there at 3. I should make it back to the doctor's office by 3:30 for you but I don't want to risk it."

"Of course." I smile widely at her. The Marklin's have gone above and beyond in caring for me. We definitely will need to repay them in some way.

"Okay. Well then we should probably be leaving in 15 minutes." Melissa walks out leaving a still energetic Lucy.

"I'm going to Patricia's! We play all the time at preschool. It's going to be so much fun. I'm sorry I can't play with you more this afternoon. We can play tomorrow." Lucy shuffles up and gives me a gentle hug.

"That's okay. We can play more tomorrow." Smiling, Lucy exits the room. I stand up, stretching my legs and back. Today I actually got properly dressed, and Melissa plaited my hair into a soft braid, so I felt somewhat put together.

I exit the room, grabbing once again my phone and wallet and tucking them into my sling.

"So, I haven't got to ask you, but I'm guessing last night went well?" Melissa places one hand on her hip, keys and handbag dangling from the other. My cheeks instantly redden.

"Yeah..."

"Thank goodness! I have been telling that boy for years to just get it over with and tell you! He finally had the balls!" Melissa throws her arms up into the air in delight. We both chuckle, soothing my nerves.

"I'm ready mummy!" Lucy runs down the stairs with her pink backpack jumping behind her.

"Let's go then. We can go and stay with Dani for awhile at the doctors, and then go to Patricia's."

We all walk out to the Marklin's silver ford. I hop in the backseat next to Lucy's purple booster to keep the little girl company, whilst Melissa settles into the driver's seat.

***

"Hey Lucy? Why don't you look in the box over there for what colour cast I should get? I can't decide." Dr Peterson starts to unwrap the white bandage, to reveal the bruised layer below, which was something Lucy did not need to see.