Chapter 27

Connor was in black jeans, a white t-shirt, and a black and green plaid shirt.

"We match, kinda." I look down at my lap, smiling to myself at my observation. Connor chuckles, keeping his eyes on the road.

The scenery around us matches our green clothing. We are traveling on a bitumen road, but are surrounded by forest. A pop station shuffles through the same 4 songs on the radio softly in the background, being the backing to our small chatter.

The harsh clicking of the blinkers breaks me from my thought's, as Connor turns onto a slightly less used track.

"Are you taking me somewhere to kill me?" I say, jokingly, but a small part of me wonders. Maybe I had missed a lot while we hadn't been friends. "That's a pretty rude move on someone's birthday bro."

Connor laughs, but his laugh is filled with warmth and comfort, like you could listen to it for days. It makes you want to grasp hold of it and never let it go, wrap yourself up in it, incase something happens and you never get to hear it again.

"I promise, this is a date, not my secret plan to murder you."

"That's what they all say." I look at him skeptically, mumbling under my breath. Of course, my statement just causes a whole new round of laughter to erupt from him, making my cheeks warm, but my eyes unable to look away.

The car comes to a gentle stop, causing me to look at my surroundings. We had driven through a tall tunnel of trees, which lead to a large, open paddock. Sun shone down on the scraggly grass, leaving a rustic feel it the area.

"What is this place?" I question, my senses still taking in the looks of the place.

"It's just a field in the middle of nowhere to be honest. I love coming here. It's only a 20 minute drive, but it feels so..." Connor trails off, getting lost in his own world. It gives me time to admire his face, as creepy as that may sound. I studied his hair, and how perfectly it was styled, compared to his normal messy look. His eyes were shining their wondrous blue hue, and his face looked relaxed.

His eyes suddenly meet with mine, causing him to snap out of his beautiful entrance.

"Stay there!" Connor hope out quickly, closing the door gently behind him. I can hear him grab something from the back of the car, and then run to my door.

"Such a gentleman." I blush as Connor offers his hand to help me down from the car. As soon as a waft of the clean air enters my senses, every worry floats away.

Looking around, my eyes trail on the basket in Connor's hand.

"We having a picnic?" I smile widely, feeling free.

"Yep."

Connor closed the door softly behind me, grabbing my hand once more, intertwining our fingers. Warmth crept up from my fingertips, to my shoulders, and up my neck, making my whole body flutter.

"You know I love picnics?" My mind fills with happy memories of picnics, the sunshine, the food, the company.

You could audibly hear Connor let out a sigh of relief.

"I chose well then." His strong, but comforting grip pulls me forward, to the grass paddock. Sun shone down onto my shoulder, but it was not warm. Expected for the end of spring. Sun, but not much warmth.

Letting go of my grip for a second once we got to a flat but of the field, Connor spreads out the large picnic blanket, and places the basket off the side.

"You want to sit down?" His hands gesture to the blanket. I sit. He sits next to me.

"So, how was your morning? I know things with your parents are pretty tight..." His voice trails off, but it felt as though the sentence was whole.