Chapter 22

"I'm sorry, remind me again why you won't just go to sickbay and go home?"

"Because I have made it this far through the day?" I am sitting on the floor of the music room, eating the second sandwich Mia had in absence of my own lunch.

The only thing I forgot.

"Did you hear Rachel asked Connor out?" Faith asks.

"Yeah," I said, lifting my head of the edge of the table leg. "He told me in maths. Apparently she came up and just flat out asked him. Said they had to be together because of some hierarchy. And Connor just flat out said no. Then he got up and left."

All of the girls started laughing their heads off.

"Do you reckon he'll ask you out soon?" Mia questions.

"I don't know." My cheeks go bright red in embarrassment.

"She does!!" Coral calls.

Of course I want him to ask me! That kiss danced around in my mind constantly.

"Are you and Sam going out soon?" I skeptically ask Coral. She instantly stops making fun of my embarrassment.

"Low blow dude. Low blow." She mutters.

We all sit in silence for a second, until a knock on the door distracts us.

"Can I come and sit in here with you guys for awhile?" Connor asks.

"Of course Connor." Faith welcomes him in, pointing to a spot on the floor right next to me.

"You can sit right next to Dani." She smiles widely.

Connor sits down next to me, giving me a worried look.

"Are you sure you don't want my mum to-"

"Connor. Shut up. I can make it through the rest of the day." I snap at him.

I'm not sure how much I believe myself though. Double chemistry is going to kill me.

"If you say so..." he says.

"We have been trying to convince her for the past half hour to go to sick bay as well." Mia says, making sure Connor knew they did not support my decision.

Suddenly the door is slammed open, and in storms a fuming Taylor, followed by a sulky looking Rachel.

"HOW DARE YOU!" She walks right up to me, pointing her red nail right between my eyes, not acknowledging anyone else in the room.

"Excuse me?" I say, totally confused. I haven't even made eye contact with Taylor since yesterday afternoon.

"Don't you play dumb. You and your stupid scheme to steal Connor from Rachel..."

I let out a soft chuckle, not bothering to even look Taylor in the eyes. She obviously didn't realise he was in the room. Or maybe she did.

"Taylor, I don't know what you think I am up to, but I'm really not feeling up to dealing with your crap today..." Looking up to her, I see everyone else looking up, interested in this conversation, ready to see what Taylor's next move will be.

"Why? Because you were up talking to a boy all night last night?" Connor stiffens beside me slightly.

"No. Because Joel called me to keep me company because I have freaking insomnia Taylor!" I raise my voice slightly.

The whole room falls deathly silent, and I realise what I have just said.

And that meant that Taylor did too.

"What Dani? They don't know about your insomnia? I'm guessing if they don't know about that then they don't," I give Taylor a firm glare, telling her to stop talking, but she continues, "know about your stupid anxiety. How the reason you can't drive is because you can't be in the car alone. Do they know the reason you hurt your wrist is because you had a panic attack that caused you to fall down the stairs? Do they know-"

"That's enough Taylor." My voice breaks slightly, emotions starting to bubble.

She knew well enough that they didn't know.

I look at my friends, who are all looking at me with betrayal.

"I guess I will leave you guys to figure everything out. I'm sure you have lots to talk about." Taylor red lips smirk devilishly at me, swaying her hips as she exits the room pathetically.

"Sure you don't want to go out with me now Connor? She's just playing you. She always has been." Rachel flips a lock of her hair over her shoulder, and struts out behind Taylor.

"Why didn't you tell us Dani? We new you had anxiety, but not that bad. And insomnia." Faith asks, emotions bubbling in her voice.

I look at my feet, shame washing over me.

"I just... I didn't think you would understand..."

"Why wouldn't we have understood? We are your best friends!" Coral lashes, causing me to flinch.

"I thought we told each other everything..." Mia whispers.

"I know." Tears slip from my eyes, running down my cheeks. I quickly grab my bag, not looking at anyone, although I know they are all looking at me.

"I'm sorry." My voice crackles, hardly letting the words escape. I run out of the room, into the busying hallways.

And no one follows.

I walk into the bathroom, straight into a stall. Ripping off my glasses, I grab handfuls of the disgusting toilet paper and wipe feverishly at my face, willing the tears to stop.

The bell rings, loud and obnoxiously signalling the start of chemistry.

My head is pounding, and my body aches, but I pull out my neatly braided hair and pull it over my f ace, unlocking the stall and walking out into the hallway.

I walk into chemistry, looking at the ground, trying to keep my emotions at bay.

My pain away.