Chapter 26

"Happy Birthday!" Joel and Christina come in bright and early, filling my somber room with happiness.

"Thanks guys." Even in my sleepless state, no barricade stops a smile forming on my face.

Birthdays in my family were an odd time. I think because Taylor loves them so much, our parents make quite the effort of being civil for at least the morning. Our parents always make an effort to be home, having breakfast together, and Taylor's favourite part, open presents together.

"We better get going soon if we are going to make it in time for breakfast." Joel ruffles my hair, being the big brother he is.

"Yeah yeah... I'll be ready in 10." Both the adults leave the room, leaving me to get into presentable clothes. Slowly pulling on my plain blue skinny jeans and black t-shirt and my glasses. I have been more inclined to wear them recently, purely because putting contacts in is a tedious experience.

Looking at my phone, I see many birthday texts. But one caught my eye.

Happy Birthday Dani! Any chance you are free at 11:30 today? - Connor

I re-read the message before replying.

Thankyou! I am... Why do you ask? - Dani

I would prefer to ask you this in person, and i know it is last minute, and i dont know if you would want to, but would you go on a date with me? - Connor

I drop my phone.

Christina walks back into the room, obviously checking to see if I was ready yet.

"You okay?" She asks, scooping my phone off the floor. She reads the screen, forgetting about a small thing called privacy.

"Shut up!" She screams, a wide smile on her face. "Are you going to say yes?"

My phone buzzes again. Snatching it of Christina, I read the message.

Its totally cool if not. I know you arnt sure about anything. Just an option. - Connor

I would love to Connor. I will see you then I have to go Xx - Dani

Okay, wear something casual. See you then. - Connor

"I said yes." Christina lets out a little squeal.

"You girls ready?" Joel calls from downstairs. Quickly brushing my hair, I grab a hair tie, before following Christina out of my room.

Yesterday I finally got my disgusting bright pink cast off. Not to say the bright pink was disgusting, every time Lucy saw it she smiled, but it had gotten extremely dirty. In its place was a black cast, with an exposed thumb, meaning I could finally do more simple tasks, like tie up my hair.

We make it to our house in record time, everyone hopping out and entering the household quickly.

"Happy Birthday!" My parents call from the kitchen as we close the door behind us.

"Thankyou!" I call back, following Joel and Christina through the house.

My parents don't cook. Well, they do cook, just not fancy food. So they always order a bucket load of food. When we enter the kitchen, and take a look at the dining table, instantly, my mouth starts salivating.

Laid out in the middle of the table are pastries, fruit, rolls, bacon, sausages, cheeses, and jugs of juice. Taylor was already sitting at one head of the table, readying to grab food, whilst mum and dad sat either side of her.

"Can you please sit down so we can start eating?" Taylor orders. We chuckle and take a seat, me at the other head. Although the food is delicious, we all know Taylor wants the food part of the morning to be over quickly so we can start the present part.