Chapter 2

"And up...2...3...4. And step, leap and down, up." My breath faltered, and Ms Blakeson called out the steps. The music kept on playing, as I danced and danced and danced.

After the classes all finished for the night, running smoothly, I had my private dance class. The only class Ms Blakeson teaches. Faith always stays and watches, giving me a lift home afterwards.

As the music finished, I lay flat on the floor, heaving.

"I don't get why you are making me practice this so hard. It's not like this is going to be shown anywhere." This solo we had been drilling for weeks was just about the limit of my dancing abilities. It was beautiful. Ms Blakeson had choreographed it for me, something which she does not do often.

"Why isn't it?"

I flick my head, looking straight into her eyes.

"No."

"I think you should Dani."

"I don't think that will happen Ms Blakeson."

"Just try on the costume then decide." Ms Blakeson holds out a costume bag.

Faith just looks between us, confused.

"Can someone fill me in?"

Standing up, adjusting my sleek ponytail tighter to my scalp, I glare at Ms Blakeson.

"I think Dani should perform this in the concert." Ms Blakeson states.

Faith's eyes light up.

"Yes! That's a great idea!"

Rolling my eyes, I know this is a lost cause. At least for the moment. Grabbing the bag from her hand, I quickly duck into the bathroom in the kitchenette. Pulling out the nude fabric, I quickly put on the skirt, pulling off my other clothes. Putting on the top, I realize how not-top-like it was. It was basically just a bedazzled bralette. Looking in the mirror, I gasp.

She does know how to sew.

Walking out, Ms Blakeson lets out a short burst of claps.

"You have to!"

Feeling the soft fabric on my thighs, I am inclined to agree.

"Just so you know Dani, your stomach looks bomb in that." Instinctively, I cover my stomach up, although I know from the hours of dance I do, and my incredibly good metabolism, there is not an ounce of at surrounding the faint lines of the six pack.

"I'll think about it." The concert is about the students, not the teachers. I was already in many many dances and helping out with the many many musical performances.

Walking back into the bathroom and chucking on my normal clothes, I know Faith already put my name on the run order.

It's a lost cause.

Leaving the hall, we hop into Faith's car, both exhausted.

Juggling the workload of school, and being here all afternoon takes a toll, especially since we know that although it is currently 10pm, we have any hours of homework ahead of us.

Checking my phone, I see a missed call from my Mum.

"Danielle, me and your father have to go out of town. Joel will pick you up from home and take you to his house to stay for the next week or so." The voicemail ends, with a beep, then the instructions of how to save the message. I see the message from Joel saying he will grab me at 10:30 from my house.

Letting a deep breath escape my lips, I thank Faith for the lift, before getting out of the car. The house was dark, much like usual. Faith drives away, off to her house. I let myself in the large door, flicking on the lights.

Silence.

A tear escapes my eye.

Of course, they can't come to our concert. Such a teenage girl thing to be crying over my parents not being able to come to what could be my last dance concert. It's not like they promised or anything. Walking up to my room, I grab my sports bag, piling in some clothes. The tears keep on streaming, making my head spin.

Typical.

Emotional Dani can't keep her emotions together for three seconds.

Zipping up the bag, I walk down the stairs, putting it at the front door, continuing down to the basement to get my discarded school work. Chucking it all into my school bag, I walk back up the stairs.

Suddenly, as I place my bag at the front door, the silence consumes me, making my heart race, and airways tighten.

You dumb girl, can't even be in your own house without having a panic attack.

A panic attack.

Panic.

Silence.

Taylor should have been home, but who knows what party she is at tonight.

Panic.

Pulling myself up the stairs, to the bathroom, I splash my face.

Silence.

Panic.

Silence.

Air.

That didn't work.

Walking back down the stairs, my head spins, and suddenly, the world comes crashing down.

Literally.

Tumbling down the stairs.

Down

Down

And down.

"DANI!"

Joel.

Instantly, air enters my body, and I groan.

"Fuck."