Chapter 24

The doorbell chimes, ringing through my ears, increasing the pounding ache in my head.

"Danielle! Get the door!" Even though my parents were in the living room, and I was up in my room, I got up and slowly walked down the stairs.

Joel and Christina had only just landed, so I knew it wouldn't be them at the door. Although my curiosity was sparked, the dark cloud that had settled in my head, just like the pounding ache that embraces it dampen my interest.

Our entryway was nothing short of extravagant. Not in a large way, not so say it wasn't large, but it was filled with expensive decorations and objects, a large chandelier and marble floor.

It felt almost wrong walking through it in track pants and an old t-shirt.

Pulling the door open with my good hand, I was partially blinded by the sun shining through. Once my eyes adjusted, i focused on the shy looking guy standing on the porch.

"Hey..." when he realises it was me at the door, instantly he straightened up, letting out of slow, shakes breath.

"Before you say anything, I just want to say I get it. I get why you didn't tell anyone. I it was your thing, something people couldn't help you through. And I am so sorry I caused you this much pain."

I stood in silence, wide eyes, staring at Connor.

"Everything's a mess, and it's all my fault. Everyone hates me..."

"I don't hate you Dani..." Connor steps forward, anticipating my next move.

"...but the girls do..." tears roll down my face, covering my cheeks, making my body shake, causing my arm to ache unbearably.

Connor pulls me out of the house, pulling the door almost closed behind him. He wraps his arms diagonally across my back, slightly leaning over, filling me with warmth.

"It's okay. They don't hate you either Dani." My body relaxes against his, but the crying does not cease.

The pain does not stop.

"They do. I know they do."

"No Dani. Trust me. They don't. They just need some time." I look up, with tears stinging my eyes, to Connor's, trying to hold back a sob.

I didn't say anything. Just looked at him.

"I talked to them this morning. Dani, they still are your best friends, they don't hate you, they just need some time."

"But I need them now." I shovel my head into his shoulder again, another round of tears streaming down my face.

We just stand on my porch, not knowing what to say to each other, but enjoying the warmth of each other.

But moments always have to be interrupted.

"Danielle! Who is at the door?" There was just enough time for us to separate before my dad stormed out.

"Hello Mr Norm. How are you today?" Connor stands straighter, using his height to shield his nerves.

"What are you doing here? Don't you know Dani is grounded."

"Yes Mr Norm. I do. I was just returning some stuff she left at my place. I forgot to give it to her yesterday." Connor pulls a small package out from his pocket, placing it in my hand.

"Well, you best be on your way." My dad stands firmly in place, waiting for Connor to leave.

"Bye Dani."

He then turns, and walks slowly down the stairs, to the brick paved driveway, where his car is parked.

"What part of 'no visitors' don't you understand Danielle?"