Chapter 8

Once Sam came, it really was all hands on deck. I was still putting up the hundreds of sign needed, so after we had the subway he bought, they set to work getting the hall set up and I continued on my mission to get everything labeled.

Kids started arriving at 1, so their parents stayed for a couple of minutes to help set up some of the chairs. We had already put tape on the floor to show where each row had to go, so it was just a matter of placing the chairs into the big jigsaw.

At 2 o'clock, not only had the last kids come, but with the help of everyone except me, to Sam's orders, all the chairs were set up. In that time I did manage to get the audio system up and running, which makes the next phase of the day so much easier.

"So everyone," I say into the microphone, standing in my bare feet up on the stage, "Who is excited for tonight?" All the kids sitting in the chairs below me with bags of costumes and instruments started cheering.

"Let's just go over the rules quickly okay? No standing on the stage unless you are told to, and you have your dance shoes on or are in bare feet. If you are in the wings, you are silent, and you all stand behind the yellow tape on the floor. With all the band equipment below me, don't play around with it, and wait for one of your teachers when you are plugging things in for the first time." Faith comes over to start the next round of instructions and rules.

"For tonight, please stay in your designated holding rooms. Your parents know where you are, we sent them all messages, and if you are in a couple of items, then your name will be on the door to show you which room you will stay in. When your item is near, come out to the concrete area behind the stage and stay silent..." Faith continues on with the runnings of the night, whilst I walk slowly off stage to Sam who is motioning to me.

"Let's get this taped up." He motions for me to sit next to him. "You know, you really shouldn't be moving this at all Dani, right?" Smiling at him slightly, I take a seat next to him as he takes out rolls of tape, and starts to roll of the bandage.

"This is going to hurt. Because again, you shouldn't be dancing on this... But when you finish dancing..." he starts to stick the tape tightly just below my wrist, "...take it off and I'll put the bandage straight back on. If it swells too much with tape on it could cut off circulation." Wincing as he gets closer to the injury, the noise escalates as children start to move to their change rooms, getting ready for the run through.

"So..." trying to think of something to say, I spew the first thing my mind comes to as the pain worsens. "Why don't you ask Coral out?" Sam drops the tape roll from his hand and stares up at me in shock.

"Pick up the role Sam." The weight from the role of tape pulls down on the exact site where the scaphoid is, causing me to pant in pain.

Realising his mistake, he picks up the role rapidly, and continues with the job at hand. No pun intended.

"What do you mean?"

"Don't try and play dumb with me Sammy Boy. We all know you are totally crushing on her. We have talked about this so many times." Seeing his face turn a bright shade of red gives me so much joy.

"She doesn't like me though. I doubt she will like older men, even if it is just by two years."

"Just bloody ask her Sam! If she rejects you, then you know to get over your crush, and if she accepts, well hallelujah, this can all finally be over and Cram can finally be a thing!"

"You know that's probably the best advice I have ever heard you give Dani. And Cram? That's a terrible ship name. But we will continue thinking dear friend as the ship is sailing." Faith interjects as she approached from behind. You can just see Sam's face getting a even more vibrant shade of reddish pink.

"Sam, she is backstage at the moment, getting all the first act into stage. Just go and ask her out while Dani is watching these guys practice. From sibling to sibling, I am going to tell you this now. You just need to get the balls and do it Sam." Cutting the tape to signify he is finished with his strapping job, he plops everything back into his bag and looks at Faith with determination.

"I will. I am going to go and do it right now." Without a goodbye, Sam struts off towards the backstage entrance.

"20 Bucks he won't do it right now." I smirk at Faith, holding out my good hand. She laughs, grabbing my hand.

"It's a deal."

Just as Sam ducks behind the stage curtains, the doors open and in comes Ms Blakeson, accompanied by bags and bags of stuff.

Rushing over to her struggling figure, both Faith and I grab some of the load off her.

"What's all this?" Faith questions. Ms Blakeson did have stuff to bring, hair accessories, sewing kits, emergency supplies. But most other years they have all fitted nicely into one or two bags.

A mischievous glint twinkles in her eyes as she says, "Just the normal stuff I guess." Giving her a questioning glance, both Faith and I carry the bags to a row near the front of the hall.

"Are we ready to start Dani? We only have so much time!" Coral calls from the stage. She, luckily has taken to her shoes off tonne in the backstage area.

My role for the next couple of hours is to watch all the acts and critic. Tell them staging corrections, or sound adjustments. I am also, when concert time starts, going to be watching performances and checking up on each item before they go into the wings to make sure they are completely ready. Faith is going to be running the sound until our sound guy gets here, and she is also going to be helping plug instruments in and be like a mini stage hand. Coral is organising everything in the wings and the holding area. And Mia is rounding kids up is the change room areas and making sure everything's running smoothly at that end. When us girls are on stage Sam and Ms Blakeson are running the show apparently. Who knows how that is going to go...

"Yep! Let's get this show on the road! We need to be done in 3 hours!" Smiling, I watch the opening dance prepare to amaze me.