Chapter 18

"We're going out." Connor says bluntly.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. Go and get changed or whatever and then us two are going out." Connor re-closes the door to the guest room, leaving me in shock, sitting on the bed surrounded by work.

My clothing is exactly the same as what I woke up in. My hair has progressed from the two wild braids to being set free to cascading around my face. I slept for majority of the morning, before settling on the couch for many hours to watch some quality television with Melissa, who enjoyed it as much as me.

Moving to get up, my mind quickly takes in what Connor just told me.

"Connor!?" I shout. I have learned shouting is widely accepted in this house, despite its calm atmosphere.

Almost instantly he pokes his head in the door.

"You do realise that I just had a hand operation right? I really..."

"Yes yes yes. I know all that. It's not like we are going to go rock climbing. But I don't want you sitting here moping about all day."

"Fine." Standing up off the bed, I walk to the door and close it on him.

Now to get ready.

Pulling off the soft shorts I was previously wearing, I get a pair of jeans, taking my time struggling to get them on.

A hard one handed task.

Once the challenge was completed, I pull off the large hoodie I have had on all day, and slowly take the sling off. Hanging the bulky bandage cast down to my side, I quickly and carefully change my top, and put a slightly fitted hoodie on over the top. Then I place my sling back on.

Mission accomplished.

"Ready?" Connor knocks on my door softly. Taking a quick look in the mirror, I am extremely surprised at how put together I look. My pale blue jeans have slightly annoying slits right across the knee, that, according to Christina, look really cool, and my hoodie doesn't look overly big on me, although it still is big enough to be cozy.

Simple.

Slipping on easily a pair of grey rabens, I open the door and am greeted by a casual looking Connor. He has gotten out of the school uniform and has instead changed into a pair of black jeans, a moss green shirt and a black bomber jacket.

Grabbing my wallet and phone, I slip them into my sling for temporary safe keeping.

"Let's go." Connor smiles widely at me, but there is a tint of nervousness clear in his expression.

Following him down the stairs, Melissa comes up to us, giving me a hug, and telling Connor to take good care of me.

"Mum, it's not like we are going out for hours. I have school tomorrow, and Dani has just had surgery."

"Okay. Dani, would you like me to put your hair up? I know you don't like it down too much." I nod at her gratefully. Our hours alone together have definitely meant we learnt a lot about each other. She walk around behind me and softly finger combs all my slightly wavy hair from the braids into a messy pony tail.

"Thankyou Melissa." I smile at her, as Connor opens the door and ushers me out.

Once the door closes, we start to walk in silence.

"We aren't taking the car." Connor states as he turns out of the driveway and starts to walk along the footpath.

"Where are we going?" I ask.