Chapter 2: Chapter Two

Severus Snape sat at the end of the Slytherin table in the Great Hall with a book in his hands as he tried to ignore the noise around him. The first day back at the school was always the worst. At least it was his last year but he knew that he wasn't moving on to bigger and better things. He focused harder on the book before him and tried not to think about where his life was headed.

"Hey, Snape."

Severus glanced at Regulus Black with a sneer when he appeared beside him.

"What?" Severus snapped at the younger boy.

"Have you seen the new Defence teacher?" Regulus said and flicked his eyes to the head table.

"Not bad," Narcissa said from across the table.

"Aren't you engaged to Lucius Malfoy," Severus said smoothly.

"Can't stop a woman's eye from straying," Narcissa purred with a ruby smile.

"Just her eye?" Avery said with smirk. "I've heard-"

"Nothing," Narcissa hissed as her pale eyes flashed. "You've heard nothing, Avery."

Avery chuckled at the glare that Narcissa levelled at him. Regulus pulled back in his seat but he was like a lost puppy and just wanted to be part of everything. Something that he shared with his brother, Sirius. Severus just sneered as he let his eyes travel along the head table then paused. He could see what Narcissa was talking about. The man was something to look at as he sat at the end of the table with his own book before him. Severus placed his book down as the first years arrived to be sorted. The Defence teacher didn't pay much attention to the sorting as he kept reading his book. Severus's eyes skipped down to Dumbledore but the old man didn't seem interested in his new teacher's inattention.

The sorting wrapped up and Dumbledore stood with a smile and more colours than a firework display. The noise in the Hall dimmed before tapering off.

"Welcome to another year," Dumbledore greeted with a waved of his hands. "You would have noticed a new teacher. Let me introduce Professor Harold Swift on loan from the Ministry of Magic as our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Swift looked up with piecing green eyes and Severus felt his gut clench as those eyes seemed to look right through him. The man waved his hand to scattered applause.

"Once again," Dumbledore continued. "The Forbidden forest is off limits to all students..."

Severus zoned out on the rest of the speech as he studied the new teacher. He looked to be in his mid-thirties with short dark hair. He stood out slightly due to the fact that he wore muggle clothes but they fit him well.

"Looks like someone has caught your eye," Narcissa purred and Severus started.

"What?" Severus uttered and Narcissa gave him a wide smile.

"It is our last year, Severus." Narcissa pointed out with a wink.

Severus blushed and turned his attention to the food that had appeared on the table. Narcissa laughed lightly at his reaction but said no more.

xXx

Severus walked into the Defence classroom and glanced around. Professor Swift sat behind the desk at the front of the room with a book in his hands as he leaned back in his chair. He glanced up as Severus entered and he was pinned by those green eyes once again.

"Take a seat," Swift intoned and Severus tried not to shiver at his voice. "You are early Mr..."

"Snape," Severus offered. "Severus Snape."

"Very well, Mr Snape." Swift said and waved his hand. "Sit."

Severus found his normal seat, near the back of the room, and settled in as he pulled his potions book out and started reading. He tried to ignore Swift as the man focused back on his own book. The room slowly filled around him as the time rolled around until every desk was full. Severus placed his book to the side and focused on Swift but the man was still reading. His eyes drift around the room before they settled on Lily Evans next to James Potter at the front of the room. Sirius Black snickered from behind them as he flicked a paper towards James.