Chapter 8: Chapter Eight

Severus kept to the shadows as he slinked through the village. His heart raced but he had to make sure that Swift made it back to the school. He had a feeling deep down that something was going to happen. That the Dark Lord would do something while wearing the face of Lucius Malfoy. He felt like this was a tipping point and he wasn't sure which side that he was choosing. Swift had come into his life and Severus felt captured by him. It was a different feeling for him.

He ducked down an alley as a witch appeared and waited for her to pass by. He'd gone up to the castle and changed out of his uniform. He now had on a plain black robe with a hood but he still didn't want to be spotted. He'd had plenty of practise sneaking over the years as he made his way to the Hog's Head. He wasn't sure what he was going to do when he got there as he stopped beside the large building. He took a deep breath and flicked his hood up before walking into the tavern. It was busy as he slipped to the side of the room and glanced around.

His eyes caught on Swift with Malfoy and three other men at a table at the back of the room. The dark-haired man was lounged back in his seat with a drink in front of him and for all the world looking relaxed. Severus knew better, he'd been around Swift enough to see the slight tension but he knew that to anyone else they wouldn't see it. He wondered at what point that he could read Swift that well.

Severus took advantage of his height as he seated himself at a table to side of the room. He knew that he wouldn't be able to spend much time there before he would have to buy something but for now the busy room worked to his advantage. He was just lucky that he looked older than his years. He took in the five men seated at that table as Lucius leaned in close to Swift and said something. Swift barked a laugh and Severus felt his heart clench.

"Do you want a drink?"

Severus started and looked up at the waitress beside him. He placed a sickle on the table and she frowned at him.

"What's on the tap," Severus ordered as he pitched his voice lower.

The waitress hesitated briefly before she grabbed his money and walked off. Severus leaned back in his chair and took in the tavern but couldn't relax. The waitress came over and placed his drink down and walked away without a word. Nothing was said about his hood being up and he was sure that they were used to people wanting anonymously in these times. In fact, when he glanced around, he noticed a few other people with their hoods up and nursing a glass before them.

Swift stood from the table and shook hands with the four men before glancing around. Severus quickly looked down but he could almost feel his teacher's eyes on him. However, when he looked back up Swift was at the door to the tavern. Severus gave him a count of five before standing and leaving the untouched drink on the table. He waked outside and spotted Swift further down the street. He followed after at the distance but Swift was making his way towards the path back to Hogwarts. He gave him a little more distance as Swift turned around the corner.

Severus rounded the corner then yelped as someone grabbed his arm and threw him towards the wall of the building. A hand quickly covered his mouth as a body pushed him into the wall, face first. One hand wrapped around his wrist and twisted it up behind his back painfully. He struggled but he was held fast by a shorter body pushing into his back. A hand reached up and grabbed his hood and pulled it back.

"Severus," Swift whispered and Severus shivered as the man's breath ghosted over his neck with the scent of alcohol. "What are you doing?"

Severus pushed back into Swift and the man released him. Severus spun around and expected to see anger and rage but Swift just looked at him in confusion.

"Severus?" Swift repeated.

Severus looked down at the stones then started when Swift grabbed his arm gently. His eyes darted up but he didn't know what to say. He felt silly now.