Chapter 27: Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Mr Malfoy?"

Lucius paused at his name and turned to see Harold Swift walking towards him with a smile on his face. He looked older with a shadowing of hair on his face and his normally short hair on the longer side and starting to curl. His piercing green eyes were the same as they settled on him. Lucius felt a bolt go down his spine as he pulled himself up to his full height. He was a Malfoy after all.

"Mr Swift," Lucius greeted. "How can I help you?"

"Mr Swift," Swift repeated with a laugh. "I thought we were friends, Lucius."

Lucius opened his mouth then closed it unsure what he could say. He was aware that Voldemort had used his face to meet with Swift and others but not what was said or done. It could get confusing but it got him closer to power. Closer to his birth right.

"It's been busy lately," Lucius remarked and Swift gave him a smile. "I've got to be going."

"Oh, no." Swift chuckled and closed the distance between them. "Minister Albert wants to see you down in the Department of Mysteries."

"Really?" Lucius asked in surprise.

"You haven't been down into the Department before?"

"No," Lucius answered and felt excitement run through him.

"Well, my friend." Swift cried with a grin. "Today that changes, come on."

Lucius quickly fell into step with the shorter man as everything that he'd heard about him ran through his head. He knew just how dangerous and powerful that the wizard was and he would normally be drawn to such a man. If Voldemort hadn't been in his life. They made quick time down to the hallway that led to the Department. This was the point that Lucius would normally be halted. He'd tried a few times to get into the Department of Mysteries and they had all failed.

Swift just opened the door before him and walked into the hallway that had always turned Lucius away. The blonde followed after the shorter man and took in the empty and non-descript corridor. Nothing marked it as any different and yet every person knew where it led and speculated about the work that was done down here.

"Are you an Unspeakable?" Lucius blurted out and Swift glanced over at him.

"You're just asking this now?" Swift laughed.

"Is that a yes?"

Swift just gave him a wink and opened the door at the end of the corridor. It opened up into a strange room with doors scattered around the walls. Lucius walked into the room and Swift shut the door. The doors suddenly spun around them and Lucius looked around in confusion before the doors settled. Swift came to stand before him and Lucius felt a coldness run through him.

"What is this?" Lucius questioned, to cover up his nerves.

"This is the way into the Department," Swift replied, evenly. "Department of Mysteries, Prophecy room."

The doors suddenly spun and Lucius tried to keep track of them without luck. The doors settled and Swift walked over to the one across from him and opened it up. Lucius hesitated before walking forward and past Swift into a large room with endless shelves lined up. Glass balls of various colours sat on the shelves as far as Lucius could see as Swift closed the door.

"This is the Department of Mysteries?" Lucius questioned as he stepped over to one of the shelves. "Where is Minister Albert?"

"This is just one of the Departments," Swift replied. "This room could be seen as the future."

"What are you talking about?"

"Each one of these glass balls contains a prophecy," Harry explained mildly. "A glimpse into the future, you might say."