Chapter 16: Chapter Sixteen

Harry glanced around Diagon Alley while he took in the haggard parents and the young children as they ran around. It was two weeks after Easter and the Alley was packed for the first Sunday after Hogwarts had gone back. Easter had passed without an incident and Harry was on edge for good reason. The fact that the Ministry was still on high alert proved that they were as well. Harry sighed as he placed his last bag away in his pocket as he glanced around Diagon Alley and mentally ran through the list of what he needed. He had everything that he wanted as he headed back out.

Screams suddenly sounded on the air. Harry swirled on the spot as he pulled his wand. Death Eaters apparated in as more screams lifted up on the air. Harry just turned his wand on the first Death Eater with a spell on his lips. The man dropped while Harry pulled up a shield charm around himself. People scattered in chaos and Harry could do nothing for them as he focused on the Death Eaters before him.

"Magna!" Harry cast and a loud bang sounded out on the air like a gunshot.

Death Eaters turned in his direction and Harry gave them a grin as he held his wand out. He'd gathered their attention which gave the people around him a chance to get to cover.

"Take him," a cold voice whipped out.

Harry danced back from the first spell and brought his wand around to block another. Three more Death Eaters jumped into the fray. He took one down as he danced to the side to avoid another spell. He heard popping as the Aurors responded quickly.

Then the Dark Lord appeared.

Harry cursed as he dodged a spell as the Death Eaters tried to circle around him. He held a strong shield behind him as he backed up. Voldemort glanced around before focusing on him and Harry tried to apparate then cursed again. The Aurors hesitated then Voldemort cast the first spell. The dark magic spun out and Harry brought up a powerful shield just for a Death Eater, to his right, to cast a cutting charm at him.

Harry grunted as his blood splattered the ground but he held the shield before him while Voldemort's magic smashed into it. The Aurors quickly rushed forward and the Death Eaters turned away from him. Harry stepped back but he had no cover. Voldemort cut off the spell and Harry hit back with a dark spell of his own. Voldemort's lips curled up as fighting broke out around them. Harry ducked to the side and flicked his wand making Voldemort go on the defensive. Powerful magics exchanged as glass broke and stones crumbled. This was not the best place to have a full-scale battle but at the moment Harry had no choice.

Suddenly a man appeared to his right and Harry flinched to the side as a sword thrust towards him. The blade stabbed into his side and he grunted in pain as Voldemort cackled a laugh. Harry just stumbled back before pulling out a knife and flicking it at the Death Eater. The knife took the man in the eye and he yelled out in pain as his sword hit the ground.

Harry jumped forward and grabbed up the man's sword and ran him through before turning to Voldemort as magic crackled along his skin. He pushed the pain to the side as his magic came froward. Voldemort's mouth snapped closed as he flicked his wand. Harry dashed to the side and flicked his sword out as he cut into the back of a nearby Death Eater's knee and sent him to the ground while the man screamed. The Auror that had been fighting the man looked at him in shock. Harry kept moving as he felt blood soak into his shirt.

He flicked his wrist and his wand flew into his other hand while Harry held the sword up before him. He had Voldemort's full attention now as the Aurors tried to draw off the Death Eaters from them. Harry noticed Kingsley keeping close to him and watching his back to a degree. The Death Eaters had no problems attacking him but the Aurors had no desire to engage Voldemort.

"Well," Voldemort purred as his brown eyes assessed Harry. "You're not what I was expecting."

"You are," Harry panted as he kept an eye on the fighting around him. "Your lack of respect for human life was on the money."