Chapter 9: Chapter Nine

James and Sirius walked out of the castle early in the morning with their brooms in hand.

"Looks like someone else had the same idea," Sirius remarked and pointed out the figure.

They watched the flying person and had to admit that they had some serious skills.

"Whoa," Sirius gasped as the figure dived then barrel rolled before they could hit the ground. "Who do you think that is?"

"Not one of our team," James replied. "Or Slytherin."

"Could be Simmons from Ravenclaw?"

"Too short," James disagreed.

They walked through the stands and out onto the field then stopped dead. They knew the person as he swung around then ducked as a bludger tried to take him out. It was Harold Swift.

"Wow," Sirius exclaimed. "That is next level skill."

James nodded in agreement. They had seen Madam Hooch in the air before, and her skill had been amazing, but Swift put her to shame. Swift spotted them and dived down and James's breath caught in his throat but the man pulled up at the last moment before gliding towards them.

"Hurry up and we'll have a game," Swift called before pulling up.

James and Sirius shared a look as Swift flew straight up before pulling back slightly. The man hovered for a moment before gravity kicked in and he fell backwards. The man and broom as one as they fell back towards earth then arched around. The two Gryffindors caught a flutter of gold to their left and glanced that way.

"Come on," Sirius encouraged with a grin. "I bet that we can get the snitch before he can."

James eyes lingered on Swift as a bludger darted past them and towards their teacher. Sirius took off after the snitch while Swift ducked and weaved to the side to avoid the bludger before speeding after Sirius. James seated himself on his broom and thought that he should have taken that bet.

Sirius pulled up with Swift close on his heels as the snitch darted up and James shifted as a bludger came hurdling towards him. James sped up with the bludger behind him then ducked down and the ball sailed over his head and headed straight towards Swift. His teacher easily ducked and James cursed. He could tell that Swift had plenty of practise. Sirius turned to the left and Swift dropped as he laid along the length of his broom and James's breath caught at the speed.

Swift then pulled up at the last moment and cannon balled upwards just as Sirius came around. The Gryffindor yelped and pulled up sharply to avoid running into his teacher. Swift's hand darted out before Sirius as he past him. Swift whooped as he casually avoided the bludger with the gold snitch in his hand. James just stared then laughed as Sirius drifted towards him with a grin.

"Wow," Sirius breathed as Swift curved around and headed towards him.

"Not too bad for being hungover," Swift laughed with a grin and it was the most relaxed that the two Gryffindors had seen him.

"I know that feeling," Sirius grumbled.

Swift grinned and threw the snitch towards Sirius and the man caught it easily.

"How about another game?" Swift offered.

"Sure," Sirius agreed eagerly and released the snitch. "I'm not falling for your tricks again."

Swift just laughed and dipped backwards into a roll as he left the two students hanging there. Sirius gave James a wide grin before taking off after Swift. James slowly followed as he watched the two twisting around as they raced each other around the pitch while the bludger tried to unseat them. Swift could be so hot and cold sometimes and James wondered just where the man stood. James then flicked his eyes around as he noticed a glint of gold and took off. All other thoughts fleeing his head.