Chapter 5: Chapter Five

Severus laid awake in his bed as he stared up at the ceiling. That hard look in Swift's eyes haunted him but there had been something softer there as well. He had the feeling that Swift had said more than he'd intended and he had to remind himself that he wasn't dealing with one of his fellow Slytherins. He was dealing with someone more dangerous and yet that softer edge to Swift's eyes during their conversation gave him hope. He knew that anything he said or did wouldn't change Swift's mind. The man had come to a decision as Severus played back the conversation in his head. Was there any wiggle room? Any angle that he could exploit? Did he dare? Severus sighed and turned onto his side. He would just have to wait for school to start again for Swift to play his hand.

xXx

Severus could tell that Swift was watching Lupin and he shifted nervously in his seat. It was the first day back from Christmas break and the Hall was noisy. Severus had gotten used to the quiet of the holidays as he sat at the end of the Slytherin table. He knew that if word got out that Lupin was a werewolf and it was traced to him. Dumbledore would report him to the Ministry for brewing a dark potion.

Severus's eyes locked on Swift when he stood from his seat and walked down to the Gryffindor table. His move drew more than just Severus's attention. Normally Swift would just have a book on the table and wouldn't pay much attention to the students. Even if he was a great teacher, Severus always got the feeling that he didn't want to be surrounded by children.

Swift stopped beside Lupin and Black and the noise dimmed slightly at the Gryffindor table. Severus breath hitched when Swift held out a paper to Lupin and the brown-haired boy took it in his hand. Severus could feel his heart beating in his ears and felt like he'd been betrayed. He'd come to like and trust Swift, but in that moment, he wanted to rip that paper from Lupin's hand.

Swift turned on his heels and walked around the hall. Severus looked down at his empty plate as he swallowed back on his pain.

"Breath, Severus."

Severus started at Swift's voice and his eyes darted up and the man gave him a smile.

"You look like you're going to pass out," Swift remarked and Avery snorted from the other side of the table. "Perhaps a walk outside would help clear your mind?"

Severus nodded as he stood. He understood an order when he heard one. Swift turned on his heels and he followed after as the teacher led them outside. It was a cold night but wasn't snowing as Severus pulled his robes around him tightly. Swift heading off on the stone pathway that looped around the outside of the castle.

"Why did you do it?" Severus blurted out.

"Do what precisely?" Swift questioned and glanced over his shoulder.

Severus snapped his mouth shut as he stopped and Swift turned back to look at him. Those green eyes saw through him as he stood there. The sense of betrayal a cold rock in his stomach. He'd been let down so many times before that it was a familiar feeling. Swift just looked at him with unreadable eyes.

"Lupin," Severus whispered.

"A werewolf is a dangerous creature," Swift stated, in his teacher's voice. "A curse that takes over your mind and twists your body into the shape of another. It captures everything about you and locks your free will away. A danger to everyone including the cursed person."

Severus shivered and nodded his head in understanding. It still didn't shift that feeling in his stomach.

"If I cast the Imperius curse on you now, Mr Snape." Swift continued. "You would have a brief taste of what a werewolf feels on a full moon."

Severus looked down at the stones under his feet at that. He'd seen Lupin, had felt the fear root him to the spot. Those amber eyes that held no humanity and a growl that raised the hair on the back of his neck.