Chapter 3: Chapter Three

"He called you Harry."

Harry started and looked up from his book as he focused on Severus in his own seat in the first row of his empty classroom. He was helping him to learn spells that worked with advanced potions. Normally, the Potion Master would teach advanced students the spells but since it was Horace Slughorn. Harry could understand why Severus had come to him instead.

"That is my name," Harry replied in amusement. "Harold Swift."

"But he called you Harry," Severus insisted.

"Yes," Harry drawled as he leaned back in his chair. "I believe that I just cleared that up since Harry is short for Harold."

Severus blushed and looked away and Harry frowned.

"There is more?" Harry pushed.

"Nothing, sir." Severus muttered to his desk and Harry shrugged.

They fell back into silence as Harry picked up his book again. Sometimes he thought Severus came to his classroom for he wanted the company and yet the teenager never seemed to be alone. He always had a Slytherin near him, mostly Avery or Narcissa. Harry wondered about that but it could have something to do with James and his friends or Severus being brought further into the fold. Harry placed his book on the table and picked up a muggle pen. He looked at Severus before him while the teen focused on the book of spells that Harry had given him. The book bordered on dark magic and Harry wouldn't let it out of his sight but it was useful for potion spell work.

Severus then glanced up and his dark eyes locked on him. It was strange the way that Severus was so easy to read and he had no barriers around his mind.

"Have you heard of Legilimency or Occlumency?" Harry questioned.

"No, sir." Severus answered.

"Legilimency is a way to access the minds of people," Harry explained. "And Occlumency is how to block that intrusion."

"To read minds," Severus whispered with large eyes. "Can you do that, sir?"

"It's not as simple as reading minds, Mr Snape." Harry said. "Occlumency is a useful magic to have."

"Could you teach me?"

Harry looked hard at Severus but he didn't shift or look away. He knew what kind of memories that Severus would hold and that they would not be pleasant to watch. He wondered what the Severus, that had taught him, had thought before their first lesson.

"I could," Harry conceded. "However, I must warn you of the consequences of such magic. Any secret that you hold would be forfeit. Laid bare."

Severus paled but didn't look away. He was just as stubborn now as he would be later in life. Severus wanted to absorb everything that someone would put in front of him. Harry was sure that was another reason that pushed him towards Voldemort. But that hadn't happened yet or that was his hope at least.

"I want to learn," Severus said slowly.

"And there is a lot to learn," Harry agreed as he stood.

Severus nodded as Harry picked up his book off the boy's table. Severus watched that tome with longing and Harry sighed.

"You can't know everything, Mr Snape." Harry told him.

"I can try," Severus countered.

Harry stared down at the boy until he shifted in his seat. He held the book up before Severus then let it drop to the table with a loud bang. The boy jumped at the move with wide eyes.

"Then you will dig your own grave," Harry hissed. "For some magic will only bring your death."

Severus nodded with fear in his eyes and Harry picked up the book again.