Chapter 10: Chapter Ten

Severus stood nervously next to Harry as they rode the lift down to the Department of Mysteries. He'd noticed the looks that Harry had received for his muggle clothing and he wondered, not for the first time, why he never wore robes. They stepped off the lift and Harry led the way down the empty hallway. Severus had never been to the Ministry of Magic before and he took in everything in interest. They came to a plain door at the end of the corridor and Harry opened it and waved him in. Severus frowned, since the circular room was just doors spread out around walls in all directions. As soon as Harry closed the door behind him the walls spun around. He couldn't even pick out the door that they'd entered through.

"This is the entrance to the Department of Mysteries," Harry answered his unspoken question. "Some idiot thought that this was a good idea and many Department Heads have been trying to fix ever since."

Harry stepped forward and opened the door ahead of them. It opened up into a large room with shelves full of unknown items. Severus peered into the room before Harry closed the door and they spun again before them.

"Each door opens up into a different section," Harry explained. "We believe that this was supposed to work as a security measure but as you can see. Anyone that doesn't know the Department will just end up lost until someone finds them. Instead, they warded the hallway that we walked down. Only approved people can get down here and it has helped with random idiots ending up in the wrong place."

"So," Severus said slowly. "How do we get to the right Department?"

"Department of Mysteries, main office."

The doors spun around then settled and Harry waved his hand to the door before them. Severus hesitated before reaching out and opening the door. He looked into a large room with desks scattered about.

"For now," Harry remarked, as he walked through the door and Severus followed him. "You only need to know how to get in here."

Harry walked down the row of desks and Severus followed after. They drew a few stares as they headed to the office at the back of the room. Harry knocked at the door and they waited.

"Come in."

Harry pushed the door open and waved for Severus to go first. He stepped into the large office and took in the man behind the desk. Minister Dean Albert looked up at them as Harry shut the door behind him. There was a scowl on his face as he looked at Harry.

"Take a seat, Severus." Harry offered. "Minister Albert, how are you today?"

"I have enough work on my plate without you making more," Albert retorted.

"I know the feeling," Harry replied mildly. "This is Severus Snape."

"I hope you know what you're getting yourself into, boy." Albert warned and Severus lifted his chin up as he stared back.

"Yes," Severus said flatly.

Albert just chuckled at his answer and pulled out a small bag from his desk drawer.

"Then try not to learn too many bad habitats from, Swift." Albert stated and dropped the bag on his desk.

"I'll be sure to catch him up quickly," Harry said as he picked up the bag and slipped it away in his jacket pocket.

"Death Eater attacked last night," Albert commented and Severus started. "Twelve muggles killed and two Aurors."

"What was the target?" Harry questioned.

"A tavern," Albert sighed as he sat back in his seat. "Greengrass informed me about an hour ago."

"Did you want me to take a look?"