Chapter 4: Chapter Four

Harry made his way up to his rooms late that night. It had been a busy day and he would be happy to see a shower and his bed. Spying Severus Snape seated outside his office door was not what he was expecting. The boy had a book in his hands and was intent on reading but Harry knew better. His approach had been noted.

"What do you want?" Harry demanded and Severus jumped. "It's past curfew, Mr Snape."

"Oh," Severus exclaimed and jumped to his feet. "I wasn't sure if we had a lesson tonight."

"No," Harry said shortly.

"But it's been a week," Severus tried. "You said to come and see you tonight."

Harry rubbed forehead as he felt a headache coming on.

"We'll have to reschedule," Harry stated as he brushed past the boy.

"I'll be here over Christmas break," Severus said as he followed him. "Can we continue the lessons during break?"

Harry stopped in the hallway as he felt his heart clench on the fact that he would miss Christmas at the Burrow. Even after all these years, he was still a part of the Weasley family. He wouldn't see his friends and family while he was stuck in a time that wasn't his. May never see them again, in fact. He wouldn't even be born for another few years. He faced his parents each day as strangers and it was wearing on him.

"Sir?"

Harry mentally shook himself and turned on the teenager. He looked up at Severus before him and took in the sight. There was a hopeful look in the teen's eyes that he was trying hard to hide.

"Fine," Harry snapped and turned to the door to his rooms. "Follow me and close the door."

Harry slammed the door open and stalked into the room. He shrugged out of his jacket and threw it over his lounge. He pulled his wand as he turned and faced the teen. Severus stood nervously in the middle of the room.

"You have read the book?" Harry questioned.

"Yes, sir." Severus answered, but he was looking unsure.

"Do you understand it?"

Severus hesitated, "yes, sir."

"Legilimens," Harry intoned as he pointed his wand.

Images assaulted his mind in a jumble and Harry cancelled the spell. Severus had dropped to his knees with his hands braced on the floor. Harry cursed, he'd put too much magic into the spell.

"Damn," Harry muttered and grabbed the boy's arm.

He helped pull the teen to his feet then over to his lounge. He pushed and Severus fell back with a grunt. He looked down at him while Severus rubbed his forehead and temple and Harry knew how he felt.

"Apologises," Harry offered. "I may have put too much magic into that spell. Let me find you some chocolate."

"Chocolate?" Severus questioned as Harry searched around. "How does clearing your mind prepare you for that spell?"

"The aim is to have nothing for the spell to latch onto," Harry replied as he searched his cupboard. "There are many schools of thought of how to achieve that. Many believe that a clear mind allows the spell to have nothing to grasp but I find that can be counterproductive. Here."

Harry held out the chocolate bar as he held his own. Severus took it in his hand as Harry sprawled out in the space next to him and waved his hand at the fire which sprung to life.

"Sometimes," Harry continued. "It's better for the person to believe that the spell was successful than that it failed. Letting the person see what you want them to while hiding the truth below the surface. Don't be fooled into thinking that you will have the forewarning of a pronounced spell."