Chapter 26: Chapter Twenty-six

"You got a note as well?"

"Yeah," Remus answered James as he came to stand next to Sirius while Peter leaned back beside the door near Swift's classroom. "Do you think it has something to do with three nights ago?"

"Snape must have told Swift," Sirius grumbled.

"No," Remus disagreed. "He told me to take my friends and leave. He knew that you were there."

"He didn't see me," Peter piped up. "Only in animal form."

"How did he know?" James muttered with a frown.

"He went to the same spy school as the Headmaster," Sirius suggested with a laugh

Suddenly the door opened and Swift stood there. He looked pale with dark hair shadowing his face as he stepped to the side and waved them in. The four boys piled into the room and glanced around and wondered why Swift wanted them to meet here, in an unused classroom, instead of his own. There were four desks set up facing a larger table otherwise the room was empty.

"Take a seat," Swift ordered as he carefully walked over to the table and sat down on the surface of it. "I wish to thank you for your assistance and your restraint when Severus and I were attacked. Head Auror Greengrass would like to offer all of you an invitation into the Auror program which is the paperwork on the desks before you."

"Even me?" Remus gasped and Swift nodded.

"Head Auror Greengrass is aware of your affliction and is willing to work around it," Swift replied as he rubbed the side of his face. "But once you sign those papers then the Ministry will be aware of your curse, Remus. The other papers are registration forms for your Animagus forms."

James and Sirius groaned as Peter hung his head but Swift didn't look angry about their secret. In fact, he just looked tried and drawn which was unlike him.

"I've spoken to Professor McGonagall and she has agreed to sign off on the forms," Swift continued. "You'll have to see her tomorrow after your classes to show her your forms."

"Why?" Sirius blurted out.

"It's a requirement since you are still a student," Swift informed them simply. "I must commend you on your achievement but I have also seen what can go wrong with that spell and you are all very lucky."

"Do you have a Animagus form?" James asked in interest.

"No," Swift answered. "I have looked into the spell work before and I have worked with people to achieve their own forms but have never cast the spell to conduct the full change."

"Why not?"

Swift just shrugged a shoulder then waved his hand, "please fill out the paperwork. Take the Auror applications with you and if you wish to fill them out then do so. You can hand them back to me when you have decided."

"Were you a Auror?" James pressed.

"Yes," Swift responded. "But that seems like a lifetime ago."

Remus frowned at that answer as the others started on the Animagus paperwork. Remus looked down at the paperwork for the Aurors in interest but he wasn't sure what he wanted to do. Only a few select people were aware of his curse and he knew that life wouldn't be easy in the Ministry. His fingers came up and played with the pendent around his neck and he was grateful for the control that he had over his form now, but in some ways, he still felt that darkness at the back of his mind. The rage and bloodlust that came out as the moon came closer to being full.

He glanced up when Swift shifted on the desk and he didn't miss the wince on the man's face. Harry's classes were still being conducted by Auror Thompson whom didn't have the same flare or knowledge as Swift. Remus then frowned at that thought as those green eyes caught his and Swift lifted an eyebrow in question.