The Haunted Keris

"Hey, look what I found!" Rina exclaimed as she dug her hands deep into the earth. She pulled out a rusty old keris, the Indonesian traditional weapon, with a crooked handle and a curved blade.

"Wow, that's cool," her friend, Indra, said as he leaned in for a closer look. "Do you know where it came from?"

Rina shook her head, "No, I have no idea. It was just lying here, buried in the ground."

"Let's take it home and clean it up. It could be valuable," Indra suggested, eagerly reaching for the keris.

"Well, okay," Rina agreed hesitantly, handing it over to Indra.

The two of them took the keris back to Indra's house, where they began to clean it. As they wiped away the dirt and rust, they noticed something strange. The blade seemed to glow, emitting a faint light that grew brighter as they continued to clean it.

"What's happening?" Rina asked in wonder.

"I think we should stop," Indra said, his voice filled with concern.

But before they could put the keris down, a sudden blast of wind filled the room, blowing out all the candles they had lit. The keris shone in the darkness, its glow growing more intense by the second. Then, without warning, the blade began to vibrate, emitting an eerie hum that filled the room.

Afraid but curious, Rina and Indra looked at each other in silence as they watched the keris begin to levitate, hovering in mid-air. The blade flashed menacingly as it spun around, as if alive and in control of its own movements.

Suddenly, the blade stopped, hovering in front of Indra's face. The hum grew louder, almost deafening, as the blade suddenly plunged itself into Indra's chest, piercing his heart. Blood spurted out of his mouth as he collapsed to the floor, motionless.

Rina screamed in terror and ran out of the room, leaving the keris behind.

After the horrific incident, Rina was traumatized and confused. She decided to confide in her grandmother, who was known for her extensive knowledge of Indonesian folklore.

"Grandmother, can you help me? Something terrible happened to Indra. We were cleaning an old keris we found, and it suddenly came alive and stabbed him!" Rina cried desperately.

Her grandmother looked at her with a serious expression, "Rina, you have to be careful with these things. They are not just ordinary weapons; they are imbued with magic and power. Perhaps the keris was cursed, and you and Indra have unknowingly broken the curse."

"Cursed? How do I undo it?" Rina asked in a frantic tone.

"I have to do some research, but first, you must find the location where the keris was buried. Then we can do a ritual to counteract the curse," her grandmother advised.

Rina followed her grandmother's instructions and found the spot where she had discovered the cursed keris. She was horrified to see an array of dark figures standing around the place, watching her with unflinching eyes. They were the spirits of the people who had been killed by the keris, and their withered faces seemed to taunt her, warning her not to continue.

Undeterred, Rina took a deep breath and began to perform the ritual her grandmother had taught her. She lit candles, incense, and sprinkled salt around the area. She called upon the spirits of the ancestors, hoping to lift the curse that had wreaked havoc on her life.

As she recited the ancient words, the keris began to vibrate again, but this time it was different. It was like the blade was begging her to stop, to put it to rest.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the hum stopped. Rina watched as the keris fell silently to the ground, losing its glow and its eerie hum.

After the curse had been lifted, Rina felt a sense of relief but also a deep sadness. She knew that she had lost a friend, and that the keris would forever be haunted by the spirits of its victims.

She returned the keris to the place where she had found it, burying it deep in the earth once more. She also made a vow that she would never again mess with the supernatural, and always respect the traditions and beliefs of her ancestors.

Years later, as Rina sat by her grandmother's bed, listening to her tell stories of the old days, she noticed that her grandmother's keris was missing from its usual place on the wall. Her grandmother caught her curious glance and smiled.

"Don't worry, dear one. The keris has found a new home, with someone who will respect its power and honor its history," she said with a twinkle in her eye.

Rina smiled, knowing that the keris would forever remain a symbol of her grandmother's legacy, and the power of Indonesian folklore.