The Legend of the Pontianak

A group of teenagers from a small village in Kalimantan were gathered around a campfire, swapping spooky stories. The full moon glistened in the dark sky, casting eerie shadows among the trees.

One of the kids, a boy named Adam, started to tell the story of the pontianak, the vengeful spirit of a woman who died during childbirth. "Some say," he began, "that if you hear a baby crying in the middle of the night, and then see a woman standing nearby, it's a sure sign that the pontianak is near."

The other teens listened, intrigued, as Adam continued the story. "They say that the pontianak comes out at night, wearing a long white dress, with long black hair covering her face. She wanders through the jungle, searching for victims to claim as her own."

Everyone shuddered, but one of the girls, named Siska, wasn't afraid. "You guys are just trying to scare me," she said, giggling.

"Fine," challenged Adam. "If you're not scared, why don't you walk through the jungle alone tonight and prove it?"

Siska, in an attempt to show off her bravery, agreed to Adam's challenge.

At midnight, Siska crept through the jungle, following a faint trail. The moon disappeared behind some clouds, and the jungle became dark and silent. She couldn't see anything, but she could hear the sound of leaves rustling. Was it just the wind, or was it something else entirely?

Suddenly, she heard a baby's cry. It sounded so close, so real. She turned to flee, but before she could move, she saw a woman standing in front of her. She was wearing a long white dress, with long black hair covering her face. It was the pontianak.

Siska tried to scream, but her voice caught in her throat. There was an overpowering smell of sweet jasmine, and she felt cold, clammy fingers clutching her arm.

She passed out.

The next morning, Siska's friends found her lying unconscious on the jungle floor. She was rushed to the hospital, but there was nothing the doctors could do. She had passed away, her body drained of life.

From that day on, some say the pontianak roams the jungles of Kalimantan looking for her next victim. If you hear the sound of a baby crying in the night, it's best not to investigate, for it may be the last thing you do.

The legend of the pontianak continues to haunt people in the remote villages, warning them to stay away from the dark forests that surround their homes. Many believe that it is better to be safe than sorry and make sure they never venture too far into the jungle at night.