4 - game of pool

- Madison -

I caught a glimpse of the blinds ever so slightly opening, a figure of a man peaking inside and his stare locked on Alina. "Archie." The woman called out to her friend yet i continued to act innocent, taking my turn on playing the pool.

"Why me? I thought you'll take the wheel tonight."

"I will but afterwards. Just take Hailey home now. I'll stick with Madison until you come back." Alina replied and i watched as her two friends sat the cue sticks to the side, leaving the area with the man.

"What was that about? Secret friendship language?" I playfully questioned. "Ohh.. Aha. No, no. Nothing secret. We were just- Hailey had to be taken home. The driver got here to get her. She's pregnant so needs her rest." She came up with the excuse surprisingly quick but i showcased zero attention to it.

"Yeah. I noticed that she was. Are you two dating?" I slipped the question out mids absorbing her continue the game. "Excuse me?" Her eyes panned towards me with a smile. "I mean, i don't know! You two were quite friendly when we played the last two rounds."

"Oh? So this whole time you were thinking me and her are a thing?" Alina asked and took a few steps closer to me, the corner of the pool table being the only thing between us.

"Actually. Wait. Why would you have thought that though? You just confessed that you noticed she was pregnant so how exactly could you have thought me and her are a thing?" She admitted and my body visibly tensed up, realizing how bad i messed up with this.

"Uhh, no. Well-"

"How did you know i have the ability to get woman pregnant?" The woman continued and the fact that Lorraine mentioned Alina being intersex crossed my mind but i couldn't tell her anything about that.

"I just.. noticed. Alright, call me observant. There, you know one of my traits now." I spiked back my confidence and said. "Hmm. So you've just been staring at places that you clearly shouldn't be?" She lead herself around, shrinking our distance more.

"I said i'm observant. That's a completely different thing from being disrespectful and stare." I answered and leaned down, positioning the stick in front of the white ball.

"But that still involves checking me out."

"Listen, are you trying to piss me off?" I finally did my hit and stood back up, staring right back at her. "Yes." Alina faintly replied. "Why?"

"Because i want to see if you have any other expression besides the soft and innocent look you are showcasing all the time." She confessed and the same tensed feeling spiked back up.

I honestly couldn't do it. Even though my plan is simple - get closer to her, maybe flirt back and forth but i felt like i was the one that's the target. Alina acts so brave, having fun with her team in such a casual but fun way. Sure, her life is dangerous and so is mine from how we choose to make money but i can just tell she makes the best out of it nonetheless.

"Madison? Hello?" The sudden voice knocked me back. "It's your turn." Alina announced and i examined the pool table, seeing as she had already did hers. "Right. Sorry." I walked around and tried to get my head back in the game but the hit went completely off.

"Wow! What got you so distracted? First time you've missed so badly." I heard the woman laugh out yet i threw her a death stare. "I'm just making light of this! Remember that the winner is also getting a prize so maybe focus?"

"A prize? I thought we only had that whenever your friends were here."

"We can keep that rule. And since i mentioned it, if i win, i get to take you out on a date." She admitted and i didn't know whether to feel surprised from how smoothly this is going or a bit taken back from her escalation.

"Sure. I'm up for it." I smiled back and Alina didn't hesitate to focus back on the game.

- - -
"So? What's new in our mission?" Lorraine dropped down next to me, handing me the glass of wine. "Scored a date with her. Didn't even have to pretend to lose because she absolutely destroyed me in the pool game."

"Nice! A date is good. Really good. A more casual time to flirt more, maybe get the first kiss out of the way too." She explained and i panned my eyes on her. "Come again. Kiss? I feel like i'm some escort right now. And the fact that i'm given orders from the targets mother doesn't make it better."

"Madi, you don't even understand how much she deserves it. Of course she won't be showing you her real side from the beginning but trust me, it will get a bit rocky if you start to conflict with each other so the faster you escalate everything and obtain the location of the necklace, the better."

"I get it, i get it. The event also went by smoothly. Not even gonna lie, if i didn't know who to focus on specifically then i wouldn't have even caught her team being the one that stole it." I explained, finally taking a sip of the wine. "She's good when it comes to that. Might even add the whole addiction she has with cars but that's all there is."

"Cars? She's into cars?"

"Yeah. One of the many reasons we started to argue even more and more back then. All it took is for her father to bring her towards it and then all the chaos of skipping school, not staying the nights at the house, appeared."

"Well at least we have something in common. Going after things with an engine." I didn't mind to reveal the smile about sharing the same passion with her. "God. Don't understand you kids at all these days. Oils, chains, the smell of gas, nasty!"

"Aha! That's the best part of it! Besides i thought you liked me for that. We might be doing our job discreetly but when there is a mess up, i can slip through the alleyway with ease."

"Exactly. That's the only plus with this dumb addiction towards speed you have."

>>>