3 - neighbors

- Lauren -

I absorbed as the lady hurriedly rushed out the living room and went to the kitchen to make the two cups of coffee for us. I took the opportunity to slouch back in the couch, my eyes examining the cozy room.

"Mom! I'm home!" The sudden yell entered my ear and i fixed up my posture, hearing quite the commotion by the front door.

"You won't even believe what i just found out! The rich and new neighbor is my-" The girls confession abruptly cut off as she appeared from the hallway, noticing me in the same second i saw her in my sight.

"Hi, Maddy." I politely spoke out, watching as she gathered herself as soon as possible from the shock and embarrassment. "Hi? Yeah! It's nice- Getting to know the neighborhood, huh?" Her backpack was sat down before she moved closer.

"You got it. The neighbors are the first though. But it was a surprise for me to find out that one of my students will be next door. Can't even tell whether that's a good thing or not." I commented and Maddy took a seat just on the other side of the couch, keeping up a soft smile.

"I can say the same. Was truly a surprise." The girl kept it short and i eased out, leaning back to loosen my intimidating posture.

"Why are you alone? I know dad is still at work but isn't mom home?"

"Oh no, she is! Just went to make the both of us a coffee." I responded. "Oh? Coffee addict, aren't you?" Maddy's smile widened. "Yes, i am. Quite a common addiction from being a teacher. But i see that you're intrigued. Why is that?" I asked with the same smile back.

"Yeahh," the girl dragged the word out with a speck of guilt in her tone. "Coffee is important for my own self."

"I wouldn't recommend for someone young like you to drink it everyday. Not healthy, sweetheart." I commented to keep the conversation active.

"Well it's called an addiction for a reason, isn't it?" She proudly replied, obviously in no mindset to take my words personally. "Okay! And here's the- Oh! Maddy! You're home?" My eyes darted back to the hallway, Sandra bringing in the two cups.

"Yeah, mom. As if i didn't scream it when i entered the house." The girl fired back, having me release a light laugh about it. "You know what, these two are for you both and i'll go make myself the third one." The lady sat the coffees down, rushing back out without even letting me think of an alternative.

"I'm quite invested about why you've decided to become an art teacher? I bet you're very observant and can feel the power of art better than anyone can." I heard Maddy begin as i took a sip from the cup.

"Well, long story short, i've always found stuff like that beautiful. I define art as pure freedom, not only to look at and draw but the way that you can see it in life itself is what attracts me to it, gives me inspiration."

"Oh! That's well said! I'm a huge adventurer so i mostly take my creativity from that too. I do life drawing. You know sketch whilst observing the object in real time." I listened out to her confession, actually taken back from meeting someone that is going after that style of artwork.

"Can you show me some of your work?" I sat my coffee down, in full desire to see how capable she can be. "Oh.. aha. I- They're honestly horrible. Especially if i'm going to get commentary from a professional." She didn't hesitate to decline with a nervous laugh.

"No, no. Don't say that. I won't be critical if that's what you want. I'm just intrigued with this style of artwork. It can get exhausting to constantly be met with abstract and stuff." I continued to push her.

"Please, Ms Hale. Maybe another time." The girls eyes left mine, truly in full denial to make this happen today. "Okay, okay. I'll be able to observe your talent in the lessons in that case."

"Alrighty! I hope my daughter didn't keep you bored." Sandra walked back inside yet i watched as she took a seat just on the end of the couch, having me scoot closer to the girl.

"She definitely didn't. My student after all so we have plenty of things we can talk about." I explained, catching a quick glance from her before putting my eyes back on her mother.

"Oh? You're her teacher? Hadn't known! What's going Maddy?" She ever so slightly learned forward to get an answer out of her. "You know what, i have stuff to do so yes, lovely to have you here but i'll leave you both be." Her sudden decision had me saddened as i would have loved to get to know her more but the girl already grabbed her backpack, leaving our sight.

"She's a perfectionist. I'm unsure what stuff she has to do since it's the first day back after the break but probably will busy herself with the sketching." Sandra explained, catching my attention.

"Tell me more. Your daughter said that she does life drawing which definitely screams talent. Have you seen her work?"

"Oh yeah. She has multiple notebooks of them. One that she carries around and some hidden in her bedroom. I really do wonder why she hides some from us but who knows." The lady politely spoke.

>>>