5 - sketch book

- Maddy -

I sat my backpack back down and scanned around my bedroom, walking over to my desk to search through there in hopes i had placed the sketch book in here. Nothing.

There's no way i lost it. I literally had it in art class! But then.. where the fuck did i put it? Where could- oh my god.

"Shit! I left it under my desk!" I practically screamed out and the few knocks on my door appeared. "Yes! Come in!" I frustratingly said, my mom peaking her head inside.

"Someone's here to meet you. Can you come downstairs please?" Sandra announced. "Give me a second. I just showered. I have to change first."

"Okay, okay. I'll just tell them to wait in the living room then." Her sweet tone made me want to question who it actually is as she never acted like this when Ayden came over. "Wait, mom, who-" The door closed before i got to finish.

Nonetheless i undid my towel and set it to dry before finding my favorite brand of clothes. I made my way out bedroom and downstairs. I could just see as my parents room had a light on which had me assume that my mother wasn't even keeping company for this someone.

I made my way towards the living room though and just then my eyes locked on the woman, her eyes engraved into my notebook with a smile.

"Hey?" I faintly made myself known and crossed my arms, purposely seeming mad after realizing Ms Hale has seen all the sketches. "Hi, Maddy. I'm so sorry. I- well, i just got too curious and happened to look through." Her body stood up from the couch with a nervous smile.

"Yeah! Real mature of you to look through something that isn't yours. Where did you even get it?" I approached and literally snatched it out of her hands, studying her out with pure seriousness.

"Well shouldn't have left it under your desk, sweetheart. The janitor had accidentally bumped your table and it fell out, handed it over to me since i was still at school."

"Thank you. Yes. Was looking for it but i didn't give you the permission to open it, did i now?" I kept my stern tone. "Maddy, it's okay. Your artwork is absolutely amazing. I can't even make fun of it or criticize anything."

My tensed emotions immediately shut down as i heard those words. "Don't have to wipe yourself clean now. If it's basic and amateur then just say it. You already saw everything." I tried to convince myself to the fact that she's just being nice.

"Sweetheart, don't underestimate yourself. Sure, i don't know if those are just some drawing you do when bored or maybe you put in extreme time and effort but that's actually good. The way you detail the actual object and only faintly sketch the rest, that's-"

I couldn't tell whether i felt honored or weirded out by receiving admiration but despite it, i wanted it to stop. "Okay! I hate compliments. Makes me feel like some.. you know what, who cares. Again, thank you for the notebook but i still have homework to do." I said, watching as her face felt disappointment about not being able to express the rest.

"Of course. I'm sorry how i'm acting as well. Neighbors should be on good terms but you are also my student so i shouldn't just be coming here so often." It seems as she adapted to my attitude but brushed past me and headed right for the door.

"No, Ms Hale, i'm sorry if i offended you but i'm really in denial for people to touch my things without permission. I'm truly glad to hear what you managed to already say about the sketches." I followed right after her whilst speaking.

"Listen, Maddy, what you got there is pure talent." I absorbed as she stooped herself on opening the door just yet and turned around to face me.

"I'm a teacher who is mostly focused on colors and paintings and all that stuff but seeing something like that is actually impressive. You have potential. Don't downgrade that, sweetheart."

I swear if she calls me sweetheart one more time..

"Thank you. I'm sorry once again for being so rude. You're just trying to help." I formed a smile that the woman didn't hesitate to copy. "But may i ask, who exactly is the person in your last sketch?" The sudden question brought confusion over me and i was just about to open the notebook but kept it closed as the realization hit. Oh shit.

"That- ehm. Last sketch, huh? I don't recall drawing any.. Oh! Yeah! Right! That was Ms.. Jones. You know the literature teacher. Well you don't know but that's, yeah, that's her."

What the hell, Maddy?! I should have just kept my mouth shut!

"Right." I heard the faint chuckle of hers come out but i couldn't even look at her anymore. "Well, see you tomorrow, Maddy. Finally meeting up in the actually art class so i'll be more than happy to see what you're capable of."

"Yeah! Well, goodnight to you." My hand gripped the door as she had stepped outside. "Goodnight, Maddy." Lauren threw me one last glance before i watched her cross the street and over to her house.

I locked the door and was just on the edge of slamming my palms against it from the embarrassment yet i stopped from recalling the fact that my parents bedroom is just near.

>>>