17 - family fight

- Maddy -

My mind snapped back in reality from hearing a door open, watching my dad walk over so i dropped my obvious smile.

"Up so early?" His tone sounded cold but i decided to not question it. "Mhm. Have some homework to do so didn't want to sleep in." I responded, observing as he began making a coffee for himself.

"Where's your mom?"

"I don't know. I think she went to the back. Said that she'll be cleaning the house today."

"So. How did the trip with Lauren go?" He gave me a glance, at this point making me believe that he got something under his skin. "Good? Never thought to meet someone that owns a cabin. Believed that i'll have to wait until i get one of my own to actually experience it."

"Right." Spencer continued to hold the sound of seriousness in his voice. "Mom ruined your morning mood? What's going on?" I playful asked, sipping on my coffee.

"I could ask you the same thing, Maddy. What is going on? Do you wanna full fill me on that question?" He locked his attention on me, leaning on the counter to examine me.

I knew i felt a speck of stress run through my body, feared that this might be about last night and the hug i almost went in for with Lauren. "What's up? What do you mean?" Nonetheless i kept my calmness visible.

"You and Ms Hale. Share something else besides a teacher and student relationship?!" The sudden spike of anger escaped his mouth, my muscles tensing up within a second.

"What?! No! Where are you getting this from?!"

"I heard the talk you two had yesterday morning!"

"What talk?!" I questioned, actually lost about what he is talking about.

"Your mom left to talk to your aunt and you both stayed alone inside! Really thought i wasn't home?! I heard everything from the bedroom, Maddy!"

"What is it that you heard? What could have possibly made you think that Ms Hale would be risking her job for me?!" I leaned closer, copying his attitude.

"Maddy," his hand reached over, gripping my arm with such strength that a hiss escaped through my lips, "you both had confessed something. That you shouldn't be enemies just because of doing that. Now you either tell me what is going on or i'll be calling your mom here too and i'm sure you remember what happened last time when we had to deal with you and dating girls."

I heard as those words left his mouth, my mind even being taken off the pain just so i can come up with something. The fact that he commented about last time made my heart ache though. This family has a bigger mouth than my whole school combined. Outed everything about me when they found out about me being bisexual.

"Not gonna talk? Okay. I'm calling Sandra then." The relief on my arm appeared, watching as he was about to leave and get her. "No! Don't!" I whispered yelled out, having him turn back around.

"Wanna know what the confession was about? I'll tell you. It was about her sister's past. We shared a vulnerable moment together and she revealed that their parents had been homophobic towards her because of being gay. And guess what, i felt like shit from knowing that i'm in the same situation!" I explained, observing his anger dim down.

"Just because i'm her student means that we can't be friends? Lauren is honestly the only adult i can talk to without being judge! So maybe reconsider being better parents." I finished off.

"God, Maddy. I'm sorry. I apologize!" I felt as his arms wrapped around me but i had no intention to give in, rather taking a quiet breath from managing to slip out the situation smoothly.

"Listen," he gripped my face, making me look at him, "i'm horrible to have thought of the answer to be something that i just knew wouldn't even be possible. But- god, when i heard everything, that was the first thing that came to mind. I'm sorry, Maddy. For thinking that and now knowing you feel in such a situation."

"So? What now? You'll accept the fact that i don't care who i end up with in the future?"

"Maddy, just- you know i don't like it. It's an unusual thing. But i really don't want to fight with you. So how about you don't rush things if you decide it to be a female? Can we agree on that? You'll talk with us before anything. Okay, Maddy?"

"Okay." I replied and forced his hands off me. "The best thing i've heard from you in a while." I commented before finishing the rest of the coffee. "Well. How about we do something today then? Go out for a small roadtrip? I know how much you like those."

"I got homework." I responded completely unbothered. "I mean come on! Not that much of it that you'll be busy with it the whole day, right? And come on, Mads! You never refused traveling around no matter how often we went." He nudged my shoulder with a smile.

"Exactly. How often we went. I'm surprised you haven't acknowledge it earlier about how long it has been since we went out as a family."

"I mean.. i'm busy with work. Your mom doesn't have a license. I couldn't really come up with an alternative. But today i can! My apology gift as well. So? Roadtrip to the mountains? I know a spot near by that we haven't been to and that just opened from restrictions." My dad kept on going, at this point having me release a smile to the thought of it.

"Okay. I'll get on with the homework now then."

>>>