31 - christmas goodbyes

Charlotte

(irl + social media)

It had been almost a month since the tournament in Florida and I had been nonstop busy with school since it was finals week. I was studying after my classes literally everyday and I stopped going to the basketball practices and only went to the games to take pictures.

Luckily, ever since I left Annie alone at the apartment, I was staying with Caitlin and Kate, more importantly Kate obviously.

Kate and I have been bonding over the smallest things. She'd tell me stories from her sports filled childhood and I'd tell her mine from my crazy city childhood.

We talked a lot about being coached by our parents since she was coached by her dad and I was also coached by mine.

We went on subtle dates here and there, like just to grab matcha or lunch.

I was still stuck sleeping on the couch but I was used to it by now.

Sadly the team had a really short winter break ahead of them since they had a game today and would have one literally on December 30th.

Tonight they were having a Christmas party before everyone went back home for the few days they had with their family. I also had to be back early so I could photograph the game on the 30th.

Everyone got small gifts for each other, most people giving me jewelry or some dumb shirts with Kate's jersey number on the back.

I gave people all different kinds of things whether it was a candle or a water bottle.

But for Kate, it was different. Kate told me not to get anything big and I told her the same thing. She got me 2 really cute hoodies that said 'I'm glad you exist' on it.

I of course stuck to what I said when I went to the first basketball game of the season. That I would get Kate pink basketball shoes.

Kate had just opened up the box and her jaw dropped.

"No way." She gasped.

Everyone leaned in close to see what it was and she held up the pink shoes.

"You actually got them?!" She exclaimed.

"Of course I did." I laughed.

"You didn't have to. It's too expensive, I told you nothing big." Kate said.

"Kate, trust me, that's nothing, really." I said.

"Thank you so much Charlotte." Kate said, standing up from her spot on the couch and coming to give me a huge hug. She then kissed me on the cheek as she pulled away from the hug.

"Of course." I smiled.

Kate found her way back to the couch and everyone started to talk about their plans over break.

"So, Charlotte what are you doing for break?" Gabbie asked.

"Oh, I'm just going to my California house. We go every year for Christmas." I said.

"Of course you would have a house in California." Jada laughed.

"Yeah which means I'm stuck being neighbors with my annoying cousins." I groaned.

"Leave them to your sister." Kate said.

"You have a sister?" Gabbie asked.

"Yeah, she's coming here next year actually." I explained.

"Oh my gosh. What's her name?" Gabbie questioned.

"Reese, and she's really annoying." I said.

"I've heard good things about her, she seems cool. I want to meet her." Kate said.

"You'll see her when lacrosse season starts, she'll be there for my first game." I said.

"I can't wait." Kate said.

I was happy to see that Kate was actually excited to meet my sister. It felt like she was really interested in getting to know my family which made me smile.

Instagram

160,729 likescaitlinclark22 christmas goodbyes❤️

160,729 likes
caitlinclark22 christmas goodbyes❤️

comments:

katemartin03 see you in literally 8 days!
caitlinclark22 that's too long i'll miss u

charlotteobrien ill miss u more than kate will
katemartin03 lies

parker.riley #bye
caitlinclark22 #byeeee

jadagyamfi why is this emotional
caitlinclark22 like we're never gonna see each other ever again or something

kyliefeuerbach bye caitlin and kate
caitlinclark22 bye😞 kate says bye too

Kate was dropping me off at the airport tonight and then tomorrow morning she had her own flight back home to Illinois.

She stopped the car in front of the airport and I started to get out before she grabbed my hand and pulled me back in.

"Don't go." She frowned.

"It's only like a week." I said.

"I'll miss you and your weird jokes." Kate said.

"I'll miss you and your weird matcha addiction."

"Hey, that's not weird!"

"Yes it is, matcha sucks and I'll stand by that."

"You're lucky you won't get forced to drink it for a whole 8 days."

"I'll miss it."

Kate grabbed my face and pulled me into a sweet kiss. I didn't want to pull away but I had to or else I'd be here forever and would miss my flight.

I got out of the car and so did Kate, she opened up the trunk and got my luggage out for me.

"Thank you." I smiled.

I began to walk towards the doors of the airport. Kate stood there and waved to me.

"See you back at Carver." She said.

"See ya in 8 days!" I shouted as I walked through the sliding doors.

author's note
awww bye kate