Chapter 28

28.

Time seemed to not move as we impatiently waited, hoping to at least get a call or some confirmation that everyone was okay and no one was hurt.

Sadly, we just got an empty house and silence.

Even though there was a movie playing right in front of me, I wasn't able to hear anything. It's like my mind was drifting off into another place and everything around me was non-existent. My senses were numbed and I couldn't focus on anything.

Every single time the house creaked Eleanor and I looked up with the expectation that everyone would walk through the door with smiles on their faces because everything went perfectly as planned.

That never came, and it left us more and more anxious every second. 

The movie ended, but neither of us moved. I'm not even sure if we noticed right when it finished, I guess Eleanor was as concerned as I was.

After the silence lasted for too long, I lift the blanket off of the both of us and stand up.

"Come on," I softly speak with a smile on my face, "let's do something to past the time." 

She gives me a smile back, but it wasn't real. She looked nervous, I could see it in her eyes.

I help her get up from the couch, and we make our way into the kitchen. I pull out a box of cookies from the shelf with a smirk on my face, and she finally breaks out into a true grin.

I put music on, and for the next half hour we're dancing around the kitchen, singing, and getting all the ingredients together.

It was the perfect distraction, and exactly what we needed. As we make faces at each other, I can't hold back the laughter that had been wanting to come out since we started dancing. I was a horrible dancer, always have been and always will be.

Our laughter dies down into chuckles, and we're no longer scared or worried. I have to trust the boys and hope that Harry knows what he's doing.

Despite the negative air in the room being lifted, I could tell that she was still nervous. 

After we put the cookies in the oven another song comes on, and I hold out my hand to Eleanor.

"May I have this dance?" I sarcastically say, making her beam again. Trying to hold back a giggle, she takes my hand dramatically and curtsies.

"I would love to." She responds in a cheesy accent.

We begin to move our arms back and forth, and I spin her making us go back to laughing.

"Thank you." She smiles for real this time, "it means a lot that you would try to cheer me up."

"Of course, Eleanor." I put the dirty dishes in the sink. "You're my best friend, I'd do anything for you." 

She looks up from my words, almost like she didn't believe what I said.

"What?" I ask with a grin growing on my face, I honestly do consider her my best friend. We've been through a lot together, and she's always been there for me.

"I've never really had a best friend before." 

That one sentence made my heart break. I walk up to her, opening my arms and holding her in a tight embrace. 

"Don't worry, okay? They're going to be home soon and everything's going to go back to normal." She nods, and I could see the tears that we're building up on her eyes as we back away.

I continue to clean up, putting the milk and oil away, then cleaning up the mess we made on the counter.

After the cookies were done we take them out and pour ourselves milk, talking, telling stories, and bonding. I was so happy that I had her in my life, someone that had been through something similar to me and is now helping me through it.