Chapter 9

I woke up in a dark room, again. What's up with Harry and dark places? Why can't I wake up in a room filled with warmth and light?

At least this time I was in a bed.

As my eyes adjust to the light, I see someone sitting in a chair to the right of me.

I scream, but Harry's annoyed voice interrupts me. "Shut up, Jules! It's just me."

I lean up from my position, but pain is shot throughout my entire leg. I wince from the ache, and make a sound that I'm almost positive isn't human.

Harry jumps out of his chair and lays me back down.

"What happened?" I ask with pleading eyes as I stare into his emotionless and empty gaze.

"You were shot, you've been out of it for days. I don't know if you remember, but you've woken up a few times, just long enough for me to give you your medication."

Vague flashes of that night turn into vivid memories rushing through my mind.

Liam's house, Harry being drunk, the gunshots, everything.

The pain returns and I grab hold of my leg, trying to make the throbbing stop, but it wouldn't.

"Here." Harry picks up something from the nightstand, and extends his arm out to me. He's holding an orange prescription bottle.

I eye him skeptically, making him roll his eyes. "Take the damn pills, Jules. Louis said they would help with the pain, but you'll also get tired. I want you to stay in bed for a while, do you understand? I'll be checking up on you about every hour, and I'll give you food. Just rest for the next couple of days and you'll be fine. You should be ready to go by tomorrow."

He hands me two pills and a glass of water. I grab the glass with one hand and the pills with the other, and down them both.

"Who were those people a few nights ago, Harry?" I question as he sits back into his chair.

He pauses and stares at the corner of the room, but then diverts his gaze to me.

"It was Alec and his gang." Alec? Why was he shooting at us?

"You want answers? Here you go. Ask me anything."

I'm taken off guard by his sudden willingness to answer anything I want to ask him. I have so many questions that have accumulated over these past few weeks that have been running through my mind, and I don't want to waste this chance.

"Why am I here?"

He's silent for a moment, then he shakes his head while looking down. "I can't answer that question...yet. Ask anything but that."

I sigh, but quickly think of a new question.

"Why is Alec's gang following us?"

"He wants you." His voice is blank and holds no emotion, but what he said made my heart beat faster. What does he want with me? I don't even know him!

"What? Why?" I practically stutter, failing horribly at trying to keep calm.

"He wants to get back at me from what happened." He pauses as he looks at me directly in my eyes. "He wants you, Jules. In more ways than one, but I promise I won't let him get you."

He grabs my hand and squeezes it, still intently looking at me, and continues.

"He shot you that night. He must've been aiming for me and accidentally missed and hit you." His grip tightened, to the point where it was beginning to hurt, but I ignored the pain.