Chapter 7

I was reading my story again and thought I should update it :)

Chapter Quote:"Your mistake is thinking you have a goddamn choice, boy!"~Luke Hobbs, Fast Five___________________________________________  

Chapter 7

Ember

I'd been racing in a different car for the past two months. I kept a careful ear on whether Lynch was in town or not because I didn't want a repeat of my last race with my Shelby when Jackson had shown up on his own terms. He'd done it more than once. Each time I'd had a warning right before he showed up so I was able to escape the area.

Whether I liked it or not, Jace kept an eye on me. Mainly making sure Lynch's crew stayed away from me and I from them. I didn't like him watching me but I had to admit, I like the warnings he gave me. Jace also made sure that people stayed far away from me so as not to find out who I was and who my family was because then it'd get back to my Uncle Dom and that'd open a big can of worms that I did not want opened under any circumstances.

Currently I was checking the tires on my Nissan when I heard someone walking up behind me.

"You're really pushing your luck you know," Jace said, leaning against my car. I shoved him off of it. I didn't like people sitting on my car. Only I was allowed to.

"You're really pushing my buttons," I retorted. "Look, I appreciate you telling me when Lynch and his crew are here but I don't appreciate you telling me I'm pushing my luck. I know I am. Now if you want to make yourself useful, check my car to see if it has any dents or scratches I need to fix when I get back."

"Ember," Jace said.

"What?" I turned around to look at him, mainly so I could give him my signature Toretto death glare that usually made people reconsider what they were going to do or say to me. Unfortunately, Jace was one of the people that was not intimidated by the death glare, at least not when it was coming from me. And another unfortunate thing was how he towered over me.

"Ember, are you ever going to forgive me for what I did or not? Do you want me to leave?" He queried.

"You're still useful to me, that's why I'm letting you stick around. Now like I said, make yourself useful and check my car. This is one of my babies you know," I told him firmly, not backing down from my position. He sighed.

"You have more babies? Are they more cars or are they some of his?" Someone questioned. Jace and I both looked at the person who stepped from the shadow of the building. He was flanked by two other men, men Jace and I wouldn't be able to fight even together.

"Whatever you want, I'm not interested so take your snarky mouth and your redneck Thors back to wherever the hell you came from. Got it? Good," I said, not breaking eye contact with the leader. He gave me a smirk, his blue eyes sparkled with amusement.

"Even if it means cash?"

"I make plenty of money racing and at my job. I don't need any of your money, especially if you make it illegally."

"How did you know we make it illegally?"

"You act like it. Besides, why else would you be asking me in the middle of the night in a secluded area with no witnesses other than you, your bodyguards, me, and my coworker?"

"Coworker? Is that what you two are? Seemed more like a quarreling couple."

I expected to Jace to make a sarcastic comment but when he stayed silent, an ominous feeling crept up my spine, making the hairs on my arms and neck stand up. "Who are you?"