Chapter 8

Now that it's getting interesting, I can't wait to write it!

Chapter Quote:
"My dad said he kicked your ass once."
~Samantha Hobbs to Dom Toretto
  ______________________________________  

Chapter 8

Jace

Ember and Brandon got to the house before me because they'd crossed the train tracks before I did. I'd been stuck for ten minutes before I could get to the Toretto household. The moment my foot stepped into the threshold, I was shoved into the wall by Dom.

"Did you get her into this?! Are you the reason she's racing?!" He shouted in my face.

"It's not his fault. He was trying to stop me," Ember defended. "Let him go."

With a snarl, Dom listened to his niece. I stayed with my back against the wall and next to the door in case I needed to make an escape.

"What did get you into racing? You know you're not allowed to!" Mia demanded at Ember who was back sitting on the couch.

"I did it because I wanted to. I wanted to blow off steam one night and entered a race. I loved racing and the adrenaline I got from it," she said.

"Where did you get the car? Did you steal it? Did you buy it with your mother's money?" Dom demanded.

Ember looked flabbergasted. "You seriously think I would steal from my own mother?"

"You had no problem racing behind her back!"

"I didn't steal a penny from her or you or anyone! That car out there is dad's car!" Ember paused before saying quietly, "That car out there was dad's car..."

Dom sighed as Mia closed her eyes. Dom said, "Is that why you're racing? Because of your dad?"

"It doesn't matter what my reason is. I'm going to be in trouble no matter what," Ember replied, although she refused to make eye contact with any of them.

"Brian told you about his car stash," Dom mumbled. "Where is it?"

"I'm not telling you that," Ember retorted.

"Jace, Brandon, either of you been there?"

"No, sir," Brandon answered. I didn't say anything, hoping Dom would think that Brandon meant both of us. I wouldn't lie to any of the Torettos.

"Ember, where are the cars?" Dom asked again.

"I'm not telling you. That was mine and dad's thing. No one else's."

"Your dad wouldn't want you risking your life racing," Mia told her gently.

"How would you know? Dad's been dead for four years!" Ember cried. "No one knows what he would've wanted!"

Ember was crying now as she ran upstairs to her room. She didn't slam her door but I still heard it shut. Mia chased after her. Dom and Letty went after her as well. That left me, Brandon, Roman, Gina, and Tej in the living room. Roman and Tej wore looks of sheer depression on their faces. Gina placed a hand on Roman's shoulder to comfort him. Brandon was staring at his hands which were laying in his lap. I wanted to say something but I didn't know what. Instead, I stood there awkwardly, waiting for Dom to come back downstairs.
  ______________________________________  

Ember

"Ember? Ember, open the door. Please?" My mom pleaded.

"Ember Gisele Toretto-O'Connor, open this door," Dom ordered gently. I didn't listen to them. I wanted to be far away from them and the house. I just wanted my dad at the moment. Throwing my black baseball cap back on, I opened my window as quietly as I could, slipped onto the roof, jumped down onto the ground, and broke into a run. The wind rushed past my face as I bolted down the hill towards the cemetery. I knew it'd probably be the first place my family would look for me but I didn't care, I needed to see my dad.