Chapter 16

So I watched FF7 and besides crying at the very end, I also managed to get another slew of ideas for the story so this might be longer than planned. Hope y'all don't mind if it is :)

Chapter Quote:

  "No matter where you are. Whether its a quarter mile away or half way across the world. You'll always be family."
~Dom Toretto, Fast 7
______________________________________

Chapter 16

Ember

The next morning, I woke up to find my family in the kitchen. The only person missing from the group was Jace, prompting me to ask where he was.

"He's outside," Dom said.

"What's he doing out there?" I inquired, grabbing some water from the fridge.

"He woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Won't say what's up," Brandon informed. Worried about the wellbeing of my friend, I made my way out to the veranda to join him.

"You okay? The others tell me you've been out here a while," I said softly.

Jace looked up at me. "Hey. Yeah, I'm fine. Just have a lot on my mind at the moment."

"Anything I can do to help?" I took a seat next to him on the couch, staring at him intently because it was obvious to me that whatever was on his mind was severely bothering him.

"No... do you know when we get to go back to LA?"

"If you want to go back, you're free to go. You don't have to stay here if you don't want to," I said, quietly dreading what his response was going to be. I didn't want him to leave. Not only did I enjoy having his company, but I worried about his safety because maybe Jace didn't realize how much I cared for him, but Lynch did. If Jace left and Lynch caught him, he could use my friend as leverage against me because god knows I'd do anything for my family.

"No, it's not that I don't want to. I don't want to leave you or Brandon or your family, but there's just some... there's some things going on back home that I just... I'm worried that if I don't go now, I might never get another chance to."

"There's always a second chance," I said

"Not when someone's dying..."

I was shocked into silence. I tried to fathom who it was that could possibly affect Jace like this, but the only names coming to mind were Sam, Steve, and Bucky. When I inquired if it was those two, he said no, leaving me stumped.

"Is it family?" I finally questioned, going out on a limb.

Jace was silent for a few moment before answering, as if he was choosing his words carefully. "I just received a text from my mom last night. We haven't spoken in... oh, four or five years."