Chapter 5

Enjoy :)

Chapter Quote:
“When I win, I take the cash and I take the respect.”
~Brian O’Connor
__________________________________

Chapter 5

At eight on the dot, Jace pulled up in front of my house.  Mom thought I was going out with Brandon so as I left the house, she told me to have fun.  I hated lying to her but I really liked hanging out Jace.  When I approached the car, he got out with a grin.  He tossed his keys at me which I only barely caught.

“You’re driving,” he said, holding the door open for me.  I smiled nervously and got in.  The car was nice on the outside but even nicer on the inside.  Leather seats, leather steering wheel, iPod docking station, and a ton of other gadgets and gizmos.  I stared in appreciation for a few seconds.

“Like what you see?” Jace asked.

Looking up at him, I replied, “Do you mean you or the car?  Because it’s a yes to both.”

He laughed. “You know where to go.”

“Of course I do.” With that, I pulled away from my house and drove to the races.  The car drove so smoothly.  I adored it.  The suspension was perfect and it responded to my slightest command.  I could drive this for ages and not get tired of it.  When we arrived at the races, the crowds were piling up already.

“That’s because of Lynch’s crew.  They’re the best of the best.  Pretty amazing to watch them race,” Jace explained.

“I see.  Then it looks like entertainment will be good tonight.” We got out of the car.  I locked it and handed the keys back to their owner.  He pocketed them.  Taking a hold of my hand, Jason led me through the crowd to a front row spot.

“Is it okay for you to be here?  You made a name for yourself out here.  They know about you.  What if they recognize you?” I queried.

“I’m not racing so they won’t bother me.  They don’t take someone’s word for it.  They have to observe you before they make a decision.  I’m fine.  Although, I might bring you here more often when Lynch’s crew is here if it means I make you get worried about me.”

I hit him on the arm. “You’re ridiculous.”

“And you hurt,” he countered, rubbing his arm where I hit him.

“Aww, does the baby need something to take away the pain?”

“A kiss would do it,” he joked.  Rather than let him have a smug grin at the thought of him being right that I wouldn’t do it, I did the total opposite, even if I only kissed him on the cheek.  Jace stared down at me in shock.

“Feel better?”

“Now I have a headache from trying to figure you out.”

“You’re not getting another kiss,” I remarked in amusement.

“Damn.  Guess I’ll have to get you to hit me again.”

“Good luck in that endeavor.” He nudged me, his eyes twinkling with acceptance of my challenge.  He wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me close to him.  We leaned out over the sidewalk to get a better view of the cars.  One was a Smurf blue Ford Taurus but I could just tell the owner had pimped it out with everything he could.  The other was a sleek red and black Ford Shelby GT500.  Mentally I placed my bets on it.  As per usual, the leggy girl that I envied for her perfect body stepped between the cars with her checkered flags.  When she threw them down, the cars were off.  I hadn’t been able to see in the dark and from so far away, but the Taurus’s tires were bald, causing him to lose grip and get a late start.  The Ford Shelby easily won.  In fact he smoked his opponent.

“That’s Jackson.  Top driver of Lynch’s crew.  Lynch is the guy with the denim jacket on across the way from us,” Jace whispered.

“He is not how I imagined he be.  Not as flashy.”

“He doesn’t like to be.  Doesn’t like people knowing who he is.”

“How do you know?”

“Bucky is very good at spying and eavesdropping.  He overhead Jackson calling the guy Lynch.”

“I see.  Well then let’s avoid him.  Deal?”

“Definite deal.”  After that the two of us continued watching the racing.  Lynch’s crew, Jackson in particular, crushed all opponents.  It was impressive.  It made me wonder vaguely if there was anyone who could beat Jackson.

My dad or Dom could beat him. I thought to myself.  It was true.  No matter what, the Torettos and O’Connor name ranked supreme in this area.  If you had one of those last names, you were like a king or queen around here.  You were revered.  If you wanted to be the ultimate driver around here, you had to be a Toretto or an O’Connor.  I could only imagine what people’s reactions would be here if they found out who I was.

At midnight, Jace and I left.  We got to my house in twenty minutes.  Jace opened my door for me and I handed him his keys.

“Thanks for letting me drive.  She’s a dream,” I praised.

“We should do this more often,” he said.

“I would love to.”

“Every Friday night?  Same time?”

“Deal.” I gave him a hug bye.
__________________________________

Our deal stuck for the next month.  I’d tell my mom I was going out with Brandon and then go out with Jace.  We’d watch the races, have a good time, and then I’d go home.  I couldn’t help but get excited every time.  I genuinely enjoyed hanging out with him.  Brandon knew what was going on too.  He pestered me about it at work.

“So, how was your date night?”

“Shut up,” I hissed, worrying that Dom or Letty might overhear.  I swear those two had supersonic hearing. “They’re not dates.”

“He picks you up, you’re always beaming the next morning.  Yeah, totally a date.”

“Totally not.  Now shut up before my uncle and aunt hear you.”

“Hello sir,” Jace’s voice echoed in the garage.  I banged my head pulling out of the car in a rush to look at him, wondering what on earth he was doing here.

“On time for your first day of the job.  I like a prompt man,” my uncle said in approval.  Jason grinned.

“I prefer to get on the right foot with you right off the bat.”

“Uh, Uncle Dom, did you forget to tell me something?” I asked, my eyes flitting between my uncle and Jace.

“Us,” Brandon corrected, appearing just as confused as me.

Dom smiled. “We have a new worker.  Ember, Brandon, why don’t you show Jason the ropes around here?”
__________________________________

This is going to be interesting with Jason working at the garage.  Sorry for the short chapter! Review :)