Chapter 28

Chapter Quote:
"You're loyal to a fault. Your code is about family, and that's great in the holidays, but it makes you predictable."
~Owen Shaw
___________________________________

Chapter 28

Ember

I woke up to Jace placing a cup of coffee on my nightstand. "I know you don't like coffee, but figured this was an extenuating circumstance," he said.

I took a cautious sip, surprised to find I liked it. "What's in it?"

"A lot of sugar and milk until you can't really taste the coffee."

"So that's why I like it."

"Any breakthroughs?" he asked, taking a seat next to me and staring at the screen in front of us. It showed two different feeds: the front of my house and the back of it. How Jace's contacts managed to get those cameras up and running was beyond me, but I was grateful for their help. Sam and Jackson were face-planting my desk, having exhausted themselves looking at the security feeds. They'd at least thought to pause the footage before crashing. Brandon was passed out on a makeshift bed on my floor, drained from helping me all night.

"Jackson and Sam were able to track him via security footage from the hospital and surrounding areas, but he's avoiding any cameras like the plague, so it's making it difficult. No one's shown up at my house yet either. If I don't get some sleep soon and stop shaking from all the caffeine I've had, my family is going to get suspicious, and I don't know if I can keep another secret from them."

"What other secrets are you keeping from them? Other than the one you won't tell me about?"

"Just that one. But it's just as big."

"It's about Jack, isn't it?"

I peered over at Jackson, hoping he couldn't hear me talking. He didn't want me knowing what I did about my brother. "Yeah. I know where he is. He doesn't know that. Neither does Jackson."

"Why haven't you gone after him?"

"He doesn't want me to know, and I have to respect that. I have to believe that one day, he'll realize that no matter what he's done, we will welcome him back with open arms. He's one of us, no matter what Lynch has made him do."

"Can you get Jackson to relay the message to him?"

"He has. The ball is in Jack's court now."

Jace took my hand. "If you want to go after him, just say the word. I'm with you."

I squeezed his hand to convey my gratefulness

I squeezed his hand to convey my gratefulness. "I love you."

"And I love you." He scooted closer to me. "So, what can I do to help?"

"You want to take over watching the security footage of my house while I try and get some sleep?"

"You've got it." I shifted in my bed to make room for him, then fell into a fitful sleep, dreaming of my dad the entire time.
___________________________________