Chapter 31

Chapter Quote:
"The problem with putting your foot on a tiger's neck is you can never let it up."
~Dom, Fate of the Furious
___________________________________

Chapter 31

Jace

I'd been driving casually up the Pacific Coast Highway, minding my own business, when I noticed Lynch's car in my rearview mirror. I texted the alert to Hobbs and then kept Lynch at bay, pretending I didn't notice him tailing me.

 I texted the alert to Hobbs and then kept Lynch at bay, pretending I didn't notice him tailing me

"You ready?" Ember's voice came through my earpiece.

"Ready," I said.

"Good. We're coming up behind you in a few seconds. Lead him onto the interstate. Be careful. It's really dark tonight, and the clouds aren't letting any moonlight help us."

"Same goes for you."

"All right, let's ride or die."

"Preferably ride. I don't want to die right now," Jackson mused.

"Ah, you're here," I remarked, my jaw throbbing in pain at the memory of our last meeting.

"I'm not letting Ember go by herself, and she and I know Lynch best. Besides, it gives me a chance to apologize for what happened during the fight. I'm sorry for punching you."

"Why did you?"

"I let your words get to me, even though I knew we were acting."

"Boys, I love both of you, but now is not the time to be having a heart to heart. Jace, we have you in our sights. Jackson, let's go," Ember said. I glanced in my rearview mirror to see them flooring it towards me in black Lamborghinis. Ember swerved into the oncoming lane once and blew past us. A second later, Jackson followed. I hit my own accelerator, chasing after them. Predictably, Lynch followed, although he kept a safe distance behind me. Probably to make sure this wasn't a trap.

The three of us kept switching places, playing musical cars to annoy him. Meanwhile, we listened to the radio chatter from the rest of our group. Klaus had been the first to be taken out, being cornered in the warehouse Lynch and crew had been hiding out. Ember voiced her disappointment that Klaus hadn't at least been shot in the process. Sloane was still being chased, but they were gaining on her.

 Sloane was still being chased, but they were gaining on her