Chapter 24

Sorry I've been MIA recently! I just started my job and between work, my suddenly existing love life, and then my suddenly non-existent love life, it's been kind of crazy. I'm going to try and update again. So enjoy!

Chapter Quote:

I have money, it's trust and character I need around me. You know, who you choose to be around you lets you know who you are."
_____________________________________________

Chapter 24

Jace

Jackson had woken up a few moments after Brandon had left, as if sensing that people were leaving the room. When he asked me where the two members of our group had gone, I told him Ember had left a while ago and that Brandon went to go check on her. At the idea something might be wrong with Ember, Jackson hurriedly left the room. I tried to ignore my own gnawing worry because if something was wrong, Ember had Brandon and Jackson to take care of her. It wasn't like she and I were close at the moment. I was also pretty sure I was the last person she wanted to see after what I'd said to her.

Don't get me wrong. Me being mad and her breaking my trust, that was entirely true. But saying that my feelings had changed, that was a lie. I needed time though. She wasn't the only one Lynch had affected...

Finally, my worry got the better of me, and I made my way to go find the three that had left. I heard voices near the bathroom, so I followed that. Just before I rounded the corner, I heard Jackson's distinct voice say, "You've been through hell, and I know better than anyone the mental torture Lynch inflicts. I believe you when you say that faking your death was the only option you saw that got you a clean get away. And if no one else does, screw them."

It wasn't difficult for me to figure out who he was referring to. Jackson and I had never seen eye to eye, especially on how Ember escaped Lynch. But it didn't matter whether we agreed on it or not. What mattered was that she was okay. She obviously wasn't right now, and my presence would probably make things worse.

Jaws clenched, I resisted the urge to go see her. Instead I went to my room, shutting the door so everyone would ignore me. I pulled out my phone, reading through the emails I'd received from my mom. I'd always left them unread and unopened until after she died. Their contents had caused my heart to stop, had caused me to stop breathing. The news terrified me, mostly because I feared the main topic of the letters would ruin my friends' lives as well. It'd already ruined my childhood from an early age.

 It'd already ruined my childhood from an early age

Sighing, I shut off my phone and closed my eyes. I had my plan on how to handle what the letters were about. It would solve my problem and a lot of other people's. With that slightly comforting thought, I fell asleep.

I was brought out of my slumber by a knock on my door. I groggily called out for them to come in. To my complete surprise, Mia entered, causing me to sit up in a rush.