Chapter 27

Chapter Quote:
"I don't care if you're sick as a dog or in bed with Beyonce. I call, you show."

~Han, Tokyo Drift
___________________________________

Chapter 27

Jace

Sunlight streamed through my blinds as I lay in bed, staring up at my ceiling as my mind mulled over everything that had happened in the last twenty-four hours, particularly in regards to the incredible girl sleeping beside me.

I kissed the top of Ember's head as she slept soundly on my chest. After all we'd been through, after the way I'd treated her, I never thought I'd get a chance to try again with her. Besides, with Jackson around and how close they'd become, I figured they were going to be an item sooner rather than later. I don't know what Ember saw in me, but I was glad she saw something because whenever I looked at her, I saw my future and my world.

"What time is it?" she murmured, breaking me out of my thoughts.

My eyes flicked over to my alarm clock. "Nine in the morning."

Ember groaned. "I don't want to get up."

"Who says we have to?"

"I know if I don't show up soon, my family is going to wonder where I'm at. I'd rather them not find me in here in this state." We both glanced over at our clothes strewn carelessly across my room. "My uncle might shoot you."

"He'd have to get in line behind Jackson and your mom."

Ember chuckled. "Not my mom. She likes you. But Jackson, yeah, I could see him shooting you. I'm not going to let that happen."

"Listen, when this is all over, I'm going to take you out on a date. A proper one," I said, turning my head to look at her. She smiled up at me before giving a kiss on my cheek.

"I'd like that." With that said, the two of us crawled out of bed, throwing our clothes back on. She quickly slipped out of my room. Considering I didn't hear any voices once she left, I assumed no one had seen her go. At least that was one problem we could avoid. The issue of Lynch was another, one I dreaded to face again.

I shuffled to the bathroom, where I took a quick shower, just enough to get rid of the dirt and blood since I hadn't done so last night, causing me to consider changing my sheets later. They had to be disgusting. How had I let Ember sleep with my bed in its state? Then I remembered all I'd been thinking about was her. A nuclear bomb could've gone off, and I wouldn't have noticed.

Once finished, I threw on some jeans and a tee, then shuffled into the kitchen where I found everyone else convening in the kitchen around a massive stack of pancakes and plates of bacon and eggs. I sidled up next to Ember, refraining from putting my arm around her. We were going to be fielding enough questions just from us talking again.

"What's going?" I whispered to Ember.

"I don't know," she admitted. "I got here right before you did."

"You two are talking again?" Brandon queried, nudging her.

"Yeah, we worked things out last night," she replied casually, careful to hide the blush creeping on her cheeks.

"So, what's going on?" Sam finally piped up, garnering the attention. "Did we find out where Lynch went?"

 "Did we find out where Lynch went?"