Chapter 34

Chapter Quote:
"Salud, mi familia."
~Dom Toretto, Fast Five
______________________________________

Chapter 34

Six months later...

Ember

"Shit!" Jack exclaimed, swerving back behind me. "I can't do it!"

"Neither can I!" Jace responded, pulling up alongside my brother. "This isn't good."

"How could we let this happen again?" Brandon said with an accompanying groan. The three of them were struggling on this mission, and while I felt for them, I had to focus on my goal. My target was within reach, and I intended to get it.

"You boys doing okay?" I asked, checking my rearview mirror.

"What do you think?" Jack replied sarcastically.

My car zipped past the marker, and I came to sliding halt. The boys were soon to follow. As I stepped out of the car, I grinned at them and said, "So that's... ten to zero?"

"You're a freak of nature, you know that?" Brandon remarked

"Considering Jack and I are related, he's one too."

"Yeah, but I haven't won ten races in a row. In a day. And we've only been doing this for two hours," Jack chimed in.

"I may hate losing, but I'm really proud of you," Jace said.

I gave him a peck on the cheek. "Good, because you're stuck with me."

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders, smiling at me adoringly and causing my heart to melt. "I think I can live with that."

"Hey, kids, lunch is ready!" Dom hollered. The four of us stepped off the racetrack and headed over to the rest of the family. Dad, Dom, Roman, and Tej were at the barbecue pit. Mom, Letty, and Gina were at the table, chatting gaily. I slipped out from under Jace's arm and sidled up to my dad. He kissed me on the top of the head. I still couldn't believe he was really here. More than once, I found myself waking up in the morning, still thinking he was dead. Then I'd go downstairs to see him and mom making breakfast.

Dad made a remarkable comeback considering his malnourishment and mental state. He had PTSD from the ordeal but had been seeing a therapist to help him through it. He said mom and I were the reason he recovered so well and so quickly, but I also made sure he gave himself credit. Dad spent every day these last six months getting back into shape and getting healthy.

"We late?" Hobbs' booming voice asked. Everyone turned around to see him strutting over with Sam. I hid my disappointment at the fact Nico wasn't with them. I'd invited him to come, and heavily insisted upon it, but I guess his hatred for Dom won out.

We all sat down at the table except my uncle. I noticed Roman snag a piece of bread and shove it into his mouth. My dad saw it too, declaring, "First bite! He's got grace. House rules, man. House rules."