The Meeting

AN Glad the first chapter got such good feedback. I tend to update faster when a fic gets good praise ! Makes me more motivated.
-

Taylor wakes feeling nervous. Today is the day she is going to meet Karlie - the strange girl from last night - and possible become a secret vampire hunter. Although in her heart she feels that this could very well be a scam, Taylor is desperate to take her chances.

Karlie had asked the previous night to meet her at nine to talk. But this was the same time that Mayor Horan had asked the town to go to Town Hall and register.

Should I even bother with that anymore? Taylor thinks to herself as she gets dressed. Maybe she would just go to see who was signing up and not register herself after all. She slips into a simple, sky blue frock and her Mary Jane shoes. Her mother gives her a steady gaze as she quickly devours her breakfast.

"Hope you're not going to try and register yourself, girl," her father says from the front door as he dons his working cap.

"No, I'm going to visit Selena today," Taylor says. She did not want to sound uncertain, but she knows that her mother heard the off tone in her voice. She eats her toast more quickly.

"You're going to Town Hall, I just know it," her mother sighs.

"I'm not, Mom."

Andrea huffs, "Just don't do anything absurd."

Taylor gulps down her orange juice and then looks for her cloak and satchel. She steps out into the early spring air and inhales the freshness of the new day.

"Good morning, you!" greets a happy voice from a neighbouring house. It is Abigail. She closes the door behind her and skips up to her friend, embracing her in a hug.

"You're lookin' official. Sunday was yesterday, right?" she smiles.

"I'm just on a business trip," says Taylor, linking an arm with her friend as they walk through the awakening town.

Abigail's eyes widen, "Not a marriage!" she gasps. "Oh, not already! At nineteen-"

"No, no, nothing like that, Abi," Taylor says with a shake of her head. "But I'm sure that's coming soon."

"Phew! So what is it? Where are you travelling?"

"Um... Just to the Town Hall. I wanna see who's signing up."

Abigail frowns "Why is that?"

Taylor shrugs "I'm just interested is all."

"You know girls can't be hunters."

"I'm just looking."

After a short while, the two girls come to the Town Square. They pass an old beggar on the streets and Taylor reaches into her satchel to offer him a bread bun. He smiles and blesses her.

"Your father works hard to grow the crops to make that bread," Abigail says as they walk on.

"It was only one piece, Abi," Taylor says, assuringly.

It grows busier as the girls come closer to the Hall. Crowds of men and young boys have gathered outside the building and the Mayor is just about to open the doors. Taylor spies her friend, Ed, and quickly approached him.