The Reveal

The rest of Taylor's lesson on vampires ends too soon. She learns about shapeshifting and diets and sleeping habits for another whole hour in Miss Laurent's class. Her favourite topic is the mating ceremony - which she learns about last and finds very romantic. As she drowns out the obnoxious snickering and comments of her fellow classmates, Taylor listens to the final pieces of the lesson and scribbles down her notes.

On the night of a vampire's first mating, the two partners must venture into a lake to cleanse themselves. The male will court the female by nipping at her skin with his fangs, never actually hurting of course. They will both swim around the lake and playfully tease each other, much like that of a foreplay session in humans. A single kiss from the male to the back of the females neck indicates that the two are ready to mate. This procedure takes place in either of the partner's domains. A fire is lit in the room they choose to mate. Only a cloak is to be worn by each vampire after they have dried themselves from the cleansing. And when the moment feels right, both cloaks will be shed - symbolising trust and a new beginning. The pair must then make love to one another until the fire turns to ash and embers. In the morning, the two lovers will have become inseparable.

But the thing about vampire mating that Taylor finds particularly interesting, is that gender does not matter. It is common enough that two males or two females will mate. The love and bond is just as strong. Taylor almost secretly wishes that hunters were not a thing... Almost.

"Bye, Sel", Taylor waves as she and Abigail bid their friend goodbye. Selena waves back and begins her journey home. The two girls make their way to the footpath and come up slow behind her as they also start to leave. Ed pants to catch up with them

"You'll never guess what, you two," he beams.

"Well?" Taylor smiles, amused by his enthusiasm.

"No, I said you'll never guess what," Ed says.

"And?" Taylor says, raising an eyebrow at Abigail who makes a confused expression.

"You said 'well'. I said you'll never guess 'what' and you guessed 'well'", Ed says with a goofy smirk.

"Ah, quit your playing and tell me what's going on!", Taylor giggles, throwing a friendly punch to his arm.

"Yeah, Ed. You never usually get excited about anything other than globe making", Abigail teases.

Ed laughs and rolls his eyes. "I got my Letter of Acceptance in the mail today," Ed smiles, proudly. Taylor stops walking and stares at him in shock

"You're joking!" she gasps, grabbing his wrists.

"Royal wax seal on it and everything", Ed says.

"If you are joking I will be so disappointed", Abigail says with great urgency, her eyes wide and wild. Ed chuckles

"I'm going into training next Monday."

"Oh, my goodness!" Taylor cries and squeezes Ed into a tight embrace. "Oh, my goodness oh, my goodness!" she chants. Abigail is squealing excitedly and hugging him from behind. Ed blushes and pats Taylor's head.

"I'll be quite honest, I'm terrified," he says with a shy hand to his neck.

"You'll be amazing! You'll be our hero!" Taylor beams.