The Change of Decision

"It's creepy being back here", Taylor whispers as she cautiously opens the front door of her house.

Karlie giggles and follows in after her, "You've been living with vampires and werewolves and you think this is creepy?"

"It's just weird", Taylor says, quietly.

"You've got me, it'll be all right", the vampire soothes.

Taylor smiles, fondly, and closes the door, "All right, what are you looking for exactly?"

Karlie sniffs around a bit and scampers down the grand hallways of the house. Taylor softly steps behind her, arms folded as she takes in what was and is hers. It's warm in the house. The walls are dry and a cozy heat is emanating through the doorways. Taylor sighs, heavily. She does not want to be here. She does not want to be reminded of the sorrow that filled her soul whenever she woke up in her own bedroom.

As Taylor walks on - and Karlie does her searching - she decides to check on her beloved cats. She goes to the living room to see if they are asleep on the couch or in their beds. To her concern, they are not. Since Desmond is out Taylor wonders if the felines have made their way to the bedroom. Smirking a little at the thought Taylor ascends the staircase to her room.

"Where ya going?", Karlie calls from the end of the stairs, something beige and crumbly in her hands.

"I'm looking for the cats... What is in your hand?"

Karlie holds up a small chocolate chip cookie, "They are not very good. They don't taste like yours do"

"Yeah, he usually buys factory made stuff when he can. 'Spend money if you have it' is Dessy's motto"

"Dessy, bleh", Karlie grimaces, "Don't give him a nickname"

"Well, I don't quite like saying his actual name", Taylor sighs. "Found any DNA yet?"

"I've found a few of his coats and taken the buttons. Maybe I'll get some find some fingerprints. But honestly, this man is clean. Not a single brush in the bathrooms have hairs"

Taylor chuckles, "You'll find something, love. I'll be down in a minute"

Karlie nods and continues her search whilst Taylor looks for her pets. She checks a guest room first and is met with no luck. Moving onto the second guest bedroom and she is still unsuccessful. As Taylor makes her way to her own room, she begins to relative that she hasn't heard so much as a meow or loud purr from the animals. No signs of fur on the doorways or stray stuffed toys strewn about the floor. It's almost as if the cats are invisible. It's almost as if... they're gone.

Taylor's heart skips a beat. What if something awful happened to her darling friends while she was away? What if Desmond did something cruel to them? She slowly opens the door of her bedroom. Switching on the light, a messily made bed stands before her.

Empty.

The girl's stomach starts to turn and she feels ill. A sickly wave of dread washes over her. She shakily sits down on her side of the bed and places her hands in her lap. Taylor's coat slips down her shoulders and she lets it fall against the bed. She listens to her breathing and becomes aware of how strained and heavy it has become. She places her hands over her chest, feeling the beat of her heart under her flesh. As she tiredly looks up she notices a piece of paper on the table by the window. Feeling curious, Taylor goes to inspect the papers message. It's a short sentence written in red ink

IOU: Cats - sold for $150 each - to Mr Martin Kent

The note falls from Taylor's hands and flutters to the hardwood floor. She tries to cover her sob with her hands but they're shaking too much and her fingers simply wobble around her parted lips. Taylor's knees give away and she collapses with a firm thud. She pulls at her hair with distraught fists and enraged tears spill over her cheeks. Taylor hasn't even made a noise yet. She is too shocked to even utter a whimper. But this strain soon passes and a ragged cry escapes her lips.