The New Life

Desmond's mangled hand had been fixed up with the help of a spell. Cara and Georgia were the perfect pair, able to skilfully make it look like as if the monster had died in his sleep of a heart attack; with Taylor coming home as the horrified widower. Her mother had begged her to stay at home for a few days, and Karlie had agreed to let her go provided she let a spy raven keep an eye on her. This needed to look as believable as possible.

A little under two weeks passes. Christmas Day has come. Taylor wakes up on a chilly morning in her old bedroom. A thick pile of snow has piled upon her window ledge. A wood pigeon is hooting outside. Taylor smiles on seeing that a note has been stuck to her window.

Merry Swiftmas? Come see us all as soon as you can! Stay safe. Trust yourself.
~ Karlie, your mate x
P.S Bring cookies... please.

Taylor smiles, her cheeks turning rosy both from the cold and Karlie's adorableness. She takes her presents from under her bed and stalks into her parents bedroom. Two snoring lumps under the bedsheets. Taylor rolls her eyes and places the presents down on the floor before ripping open the curtains. Bright sunlight pours into the small room. Her parents, dressed in ridiculous festive nightwear, gasp and cover their sleepy faces.

"Taylor, really?", Andrea groans.

"Where are my glasses?", Scott grumbles to himself.

"Merry Christmas to you guys, too!", Taylor says, propping up her presents on her parents laps.

"Oh, I'm glad you're being so positive deary. Hop up for a second, let me get yours", Andrea says with a tired smile. Scott seems to have fallen back asleep.

The gifts are exchanged. Taylor receives a silver locket with a picture of her parents in one frame, and herself with Austin and the cats in another. Oh, the cats. Taylor had lied to her mother that Abigail was minding them for her. She brushes away the thought, not wanting such troublesome things in her mind right now. Another present is a deep red, hand knit scarf with her initials at the ends. Thanking her parents, Taylor offers to start with the festive goods. Andrea excitedly agrees and proceeds downstairs in her Christmas tree coloured nightgown to start cooking. Taylor handles the baked treats, stuffing a few cookies into a cute little basket. She tells Andrea that she will be visiting later this evening. Her mother smiles, not questioning any further.

An eager knock rattles at the front door. Scott goes to open it but Taylor barges passed him, already aware of who it's going to be. Austin is pushed backwards into the snow, Taylor laughing with delight.

"Back from the very ocean itself!", Taylor beams. Austin had taken to becoming a successful fisherman. He had a wife and a baby on the way. He was doing brilliantly.

"The gang is looking well", Austin smiles, shivering as he enters his warm, old home.

The rest of the day is spent singing and playing games around a fire. Taylor feels the best she's felt in a long time. She's free from her husband and has a new relationship with Karlie fast approaching. It's a new beginning. It's a new life. It's late in the evening when Taylor decides she's ready to leave for "visiting friends". Her mother kisses her on the cheek and warns her to stay safe in the cold. Taylor clutches her new scarf and hugs her mother goodbye.

"I might stay at a friend's tonight", she calls.

"Take care all the same!", Andrea calls and then closes the door.

Taylor holds her basket of cookies under her coat. They aren't warm anymore, but the last thing the girl wants is for wet snow to turn them soggy. Karlie certainly wouldn't be too happy about that. Taylor makes it to the Haim sisters' cave and knocks on the thick wood, calling to them from outside. It isn't too long before the door is heaved open and a very excited Alana pounces out like a playful puppy. She barks happily and rubs herself in circles around Taylor's legs. Taylor giggles and pets her down, throwing her a cookie from her basket.