The Game

Taylor is wearing a heavy bear fur coat as she strolls through the morning lit forest of the Opal Mountain dwellings. The wolves, bar Danielle, are sprinting up ahead. Even in human form they can run like the fastest of race horses. A light snow fall is flurrying down and melting on Taylor's nose. She wonders where the group are heading to commence this celebratory game. It's a bit strange to be playing anything outside considering the weather. But Taylor then remembers that she is an under cover human. Vampires are quite used to the cold - Karlie is practically made out of winter itself. And werewolves, well, there's really no need to explain anything there.

"So, what's the game plan?" Karlie asks Danielle who walks beside her.

"Probably free fall since we're headed to the lake"

"It's free fall" Alana calls a few meters away.

"What's free fall?" Taylor asks.

"What do you mean 'what's free fall'" Este chuckles. "I'm sure you've played it before"

"Taylor doesn't have many wolf friends" Karlie explains, hoping to end the topic there.

"Shame" Danielle murmurs.

The group makes their way to the lake and then take large slabs of drift wood to sail across - Taylor, Karlie, Alana, and Este on one; Cara, Georgia, and Danielle on the other. Taylor brushes her fingers over the water out of curiosity and is met with a sharp chill to her skin. She brings her hand back and relaxes into her surroundings. The faces of the raft passengers are a bright paleness against the early winter sun. Their eyes are like vivid Christmas lights amongst the misty grey air. Taylor snuggles next to Karlie who is wearing a white fur cloak. Este had explained that it was made out of a family of thieving minks. It suits Karlie. The way the alabaster brilliance of the fur contrasts with her eyes so green.

"Is Jen going to be the lifeguard?" Alana asks, gazing into the lake water.

"Of course" Este says. "Anyone got some bait? I have the hook and string"

Taylor - along with the rest of the group - checks herself for anything Este could use. She fiddles around with her sapphire earrings; a birthday present that Desmond gave to her. Perfect.

"You can use these" The girl hands Este the jewellery and she receives an uncertain glance.

"Really?"

"Yeah, please. I don't even like them" Taylor insists and places the earrings in Este's fist.

"Well, all right. But you're not getting them back"

The earrings are hooked and wrapped around the string in Este's hands. She dips the end into the water and let's it sink. Taylor watches, happily. As the group drift across the lake, further and further out of the mountain clearing, Taylor grows more and more curious. Surely they will reach the sea if they continue like this. It was not too far from Carpentior - perhaps half an hour by horse and cart. Taylor has never been to the seaside since she was a child.

"Where is she?, Este" Alana asks.

"Its been five minutes, maybe she's asleep or something- WOAH"

The raft turns in a swift circle. Karlie falls against Taylor's side and giggles, softly.

"Come on" Este strains as she tugs on her string.