The Tooth Ache

Trigger warning: mild gore
-

Taylor awakens to the sound of the old rooster in her neighbour's back garden. Honey morning light spills in through her window. She softly yawns and rubs at her eye with a limp fist. Hoping to see her beloved cookie monster snuggled in by her side, Taylor is greeted with a note left on Karlie's pillow instead. A wave of anxiety washes over her as she picks it up with a trembling hand. An even stronger pang of nausea wades through her system when she notices a few traces of blackish red thumb print stains on the paper.

Taylor,
Apologies  for my sudden disappearance, but fear not! I have left for my kingdom due to an unexpected issue. Looks like I'm finally hitting puberty... I'll explain later. Meet me at the palace as soon as you can. Use the teleportation bracelet I have left under my pillow. It will take you directly to the front gates. I was meant to give it to you yesterday but, quite obviously, things got a bit complicated. All you have you have to do is wear it on your left wrist and hold the opal charm over the pulse in your neck. See you soon!
-Karlie x
P.S. I'm sorry about the gross vampire blood.

Blood? Puberty? Taylor wonders if Karlie is going through... what she thinks she's going through. Vampire puberty isn't too different from a human's, minus the super advanced senses and fangs.

Taylor curiously peers under the pillow and fishes out a bronze bead charm bracelet. A stone of pearly, polished opal hangs in the middle of the jewellery. It's gorgeous, Taylor thinks. She wonders if she should eat something first before venturing off into vampire territory at a time like this. With a lazy stretch from her arms to her toes she hops out of bed and takes a look outside her bedroom window. A hazy, grey smoke is wafting over the fields in the distance. Traces of burnt out torches and broken ropes are scattered around the ground. Taylor gulps and glances back down to the bracelet. It shimmers like a mermaid's tail in the suns early rays.

She scans her worried eyes over Karlie's vague note for a second time. And then a third. And finally a fourth time before she eventually decides to scamper downstairs for a quick bite. The apology doesn't seem that rushed. Karlie is probably just grand. Still, Taylor gulps down her orange juice and stuffs a buttered croissant in her mouth before grabbing her cloak and racing out the front door. The material snags as the door accidentally closes on the ends and Taylor is pulled back. She examines her clothing and frowns when finds she has torn it.

"Old thing", Taylor mumbles through her croissant. "This is going to take so many stitches"

"You can do it", a friendly voice says. It's Ed.

"What are you doing here?", Taylor beams and rushes to hug her friend.

"Just passing by. We don't actually work on Sunday unless it's an emergency. And you might want to break out your coat instead of this little thing" The boy lifts up the damaged fabric "It's not summer anymore, you know!"

Taylor hums "I think you're right. Maybe I'll change"

After Taylor roots her coat out from the back of the coat hooks, the two of them have a short walk through the town. They exchange talk of Ed's prestigious occupation and Taylor's new soon-to-be husband. Taylor shares her croissant with Ed and in return he buys her a hot chestnut from a quaint sidewalk stall.

"Well, I better be on my way. Drop by later?", Taylor says with a cheerful grin. Ed nods and they share another warm hug before parting ways.

You're special, Taylor thinks fondly to herself, idly glancing back at her beloved companion as he strolls down the street.