The Waiting Game

Taylor shakily sips her green tea in the cozy shelter that is Ellie's treetop home. Lady Gorse is waiting. The sickening words play over and over in her head. She feels uneasy. Ellie insists that tea fixes everything. And if it can't fix something then it can at least patch it up a little. Taylor had tried to smile at the charming statement but she wonders now if her mouth had even twitched. She's been sitting and sipping her thoughts away for two hours. She worries for Karlie and hopes her mother is all right. And the thought of family makes her stomach turn. She would have to make a final goodbye to her own and her friends. These two lives are too different. Much too contrasting from one another to ever be united as one. Taylor had tried to deny this fact but it was as true as true can be. It is one or the other. And she knows which one she is choosing.

Ella pops in for a visit, her and Ellie bursting into a deep conversation. Taylor politely excuses herself to check on Hayley and finds that someone else is in the room with her. A dark haired, rather scruffy looking someone leaning in from the window. He's talking to Hayley, making her laugh and blush. However, once he spots Taylor's entrance he loses his bearings and slips from the frame. A soft thud is heard below.

"I'm okay!", calls a voice from outside, followed by rapidly fading footsteps.

Taylor pauses for a moment to look at the werewolf, nervously chewing her lip. "Who was that?"

Hayley shifts in her mossy bed, "Um... Jeremy".

Her voice is small and shy. Taylor smirks and slowly makes her way to the bed, sitting herself down on the edge, "And who exactly is Jeremy?... A friend?... Something else?"

"Oh no, uh.... definitely not", Hayley murmurs, looking down at her sheets.

"Mm, are you sure?", Taylor smirks.

"NO", the werewolf growls.

The sudden dark tone of Hayley's voice startles Taylor. Her lower lip is shaking slightly. Her eyes are sad. Taylor wonders if it is an embarrassed action at first, but once she sees the pained teary expression begin to form, she changes her tone. "Is everything okay, honey?"

"Yeah, I just... He really likes me. And sometimes he talks about... becoming mates with each other. But I don't wanna do that. I really don't want to do that, not with anyone".

Taylor doesn't know how to respond. She simply gives a tiny, sad grin and pets the girl's vivid blue hair.

"I don't know, maybe there's something wrong with me. Maybe I'm broken", Hayley groans.

"You're not broken, baby", Taylor whispers after some lonely silence. "You're just different. And that is more than okay".

There's a frantic knock at the door. Ellie bursts into the room, pale eyes wide with fear. Her words are something Taylor knows she will never be able to forget.

"Taylor... you're a queensmate".

~*~

Karlie is standing by the Opal lake when Taylor makes her way back to her. She's silently gazing out at the still water. Taylor stands a few feet away from the vampire and then speaks, "Your mother". It's the only words she can muster. When Karlie turns full vamp, broody and stern, it can be a frightening experience. Breath taking all the same.

"I'm a queen", Karlie mutters to the open air. "I'm the queen of the Opal Mountains".

"I—"