The Practise Night

"And don't forget to put out the cat," Taylor's mother warns her as she heads off to bed to join her husband. The night has fallen - sounds of the distant town fading away as this part of the world is put to rest.

"I will, Mom," Taylor calls from the kitchen. Meredith slinks away and hides under the table as if she knows of her fate. Taylor smiles and proceeds to fetch herself a glass of milk, keeping quiet. She has a visit to make tonight and no one must know of it.

"Goodnight!" Andrea says from her room, and she closes the door.

"Night," Taylor says quietly as she sips from her glass. She is wearing a night gown and, unbeknownst to her family, she is wearing her day clothes underneath.

Once she is sure that both of her parents are in their room, with no signs of returning, she quickly switches her gown for her father's tattered work coat. Meredith eyes her curiously and pads over to her with a questioning expression. Taylor buttons the last button on the coat and then picks up the cat. It brushes it's whiskers against her face and lovingly licks at her cheek.

"I don't know about this, Mer," Taylor whispers to her pet. "I could be dealing with a con."

The cat purrs, as if in understanding of the girl's words. Taylor kisses Meredith's face and opens the front door to let her outisde. She then quickly checks her bed to make sure that her pillows are strategically placed under the covers in somewhat of a bodily shape. She puts on her shoes and quietly leaves her home.

The night sky is clear. The moon is wholesomely full and all of the heavens have imploded and graced the sky, like somebody spilled silver glitter across a dark tablecloth. Taylor thinks of the universe as she walks, staring upwards. Meredith has decided to follow her on her journey, and no matter what Taylor does she does not leave her side. In the end she allows the feline to join her and the two friends stroll together through the short grass of the fields leading to Miller's Farm.

The trees begin to grow more plentiful - heavier in their structure as Taylor gets closer to her destination. Meredith occasionally pounces to one side on spying mice in the grass. Taylor doesn't pay much attention as to where she runs, for she knows that no mater how far she travels, Meredith will always find her way home. She smiles when the cat leaps along in front of her path.

And then that icy voice startles her.

"You've brought a friend."

The cat jumps almost as high as Taylor - the sudden noise confusing it. Taylor turns around. Karlie is no longer wearing her red cloak. She is dressed in her hunting armour that she wore on the night they met. On closer inspection of her clothes, Taylor notices that Karlie's armour appears less of an armour and more of a uniform. She has leather pants and a grey shirt with short sleeves. It's rather masculine in Taylor's opinion. She looks like someone from Great Valor City, wealthy and determined. A belt is fastened around Karlie's waist with various objects fastened to the leather. Miniature bottles of red and blue liquids, tiny daggers, small wooden boxes, rings of rope, a thin sword slung around her back - Karlie has it all.

She smirks as she gazes at Taylor's pet, who seems to be backing away in fear with an arched spine. Taylor however, doesn't notice and keeps her stare on Karlie's shining green eyes. Maybe it's the moonlight that is making them glow thinks Taylor as she dreamily glances at them up and down. My goodness, she is beautiful...

"Good night to you, Karlie," she greets after falling back to reality.

"Good night," Karlie returns. "You're animal is well fed," she giggles, bending down to kneel at the cat's level. She narrows her stare and smiles at the pet in an almost evil manner. Meredith hisses and turns to sprint across the fields to the town far away.