The Evil Has Returned

Wednesday morning comes quickly. The familiar crow of a rooster in a nearby farm shakes Taylor awake. Horse hooves and rolling wooden wheels on the cobbled ground outside are the first few signs of an awakening city. The smell of fresh bread and chestnuts waft through the window as Taylor opens it to air out the room. This doesn't last long as a chilly December breeze cuts into her skin. She shuts the window and gazes outside at the city below. Children are playing amongst themselves as their mothers walk them to school. Businessmen and farmers alike are exchanging stock or discussing things in cafes and shops. Taylor wonders where Desmond is. Perhaps he's not come home yet and he's off with some other woman in a fancy hotel. Maybe he moved away while he had the chance and now Taylor is left to live in this house by herself. She honestly would not mind the latter. Being alone would suit her rather well than living with that monster. She could sleep in till all hours and eat food in her bedroom. She could waltz around in nothing but pretty undergarments all day and sip red wine on the weekends, listening to classical music from her old record player with her feet up.

But, no, the rule of absolutely no foodstuffs in the bedroom is most definitely still strict.
Taylor must wake up at an appropriate time in order to make Desmond breakfast and carry on with the days chores. The only sultry delicates that Taylor owns are her white wedding undergarments. And all of the best wines, liqueurs, and champagnes are kept in a special locked cabinet in the basement; the key of which is owned by, you guessed it, the man of the house.

Taylor makes her way downstairs to have breakfast by herself. She absentmindedly pours some water and dry food into the cats bowls. After realising her mistake, her heart grows heavy. She had hoped that the thought of her dear cats being sold was some sort of gruesome nightmare. But no, the cats are not here. And the ghastly red note in her bedroom is still there, scrawled in Desmond's bold cursive. Feeling determined to make herself feel better, Taylor gets dressed in a warm woollen gown, applies some light makeup, and finds her best pink coat. She's going out.

Just as she reaches the front door, the handle begins to shake and rattle as somebody on the other side struggles to get into the house. It flies open and a tall, dark haired man stands hunched over in the doorway.

"Taylor, darling?", Desmond exclaims in disbelief. "You're... You're back", he utters, slowly letting himself into the hallway. As he enters, Taylor gets a whiff of his scent. It's sweet and musty, like an expensive perfume mixed with earth. I wonder who you've been sleeping around with this time, Taylor wonders, her unusually steady gaze never leaving her bewildered spouse.

"Yes, I said I wouldn't be gone for too long"

Desmond's expression is one of uncertainty. Part of Taylor wonders if he had hoped she'd be gone for just a bit longer. He's probably been having the time of his life since she was away. Desmond clumsily hangs up his coat and stares up at his wife

"Going out again all ready, my dear?", he stammers, with almost a tad of hopefulness in his tone. But his voice breaks nearing the end of his sentence and Taylor has to contain a pleased smirk.

"Oh, only for a short while. I'll be back before lunch, probably"

Desmond nods and coughs, awkwardly, "Well... How is your, um... your relative? That you visited while you were away?"

"Who?- Oh, yes! They're fine. Just fine", Taylor smiles. Her husband then narrows his gaze - gaining his confidence one else again - and nods

"The whole towns been concerned about you, you know. Apparently you've never done this before. And your poor darling mother, what on earth were you thinking to just leave a letter?"