The First One

Taylor is eagerly lead up a long flight of stone steps. An icy breeze creeps over her skin as they climb. She is the most frightened she has ever been in her entire life. Even though she knows that it is safe to be around Karlie, the girl feels a sudden hint of nervousness whenever those devilish eyes fall upon her.

"Where are we going?", Taylor asks, whispering for some reason she isn't sure of.

"My lair", Karlie says with an evil grin.

Taylor stares ahead in curiously. They reach the top of the staircase and then proceed to scurry down another fine hallway decorated with many golden framed portraits. Both of their cloaks gracefully flow behind them as they run. Taylor feels like she's in a chapter of some sort of twisted fairy tale.

"I shouldn't be here", Taylor mutters to herself. "I made a big mistake"

And of course Karlie hears her "Stop fretting. We got this far. I'm surprised my mother didn't smell your fear. Maybe it was the cloak", she babbles.

The girls approach a large wooden door with a golden knocker. Little fangs have been skilful carved above it into the grain. Karlie gently pushes against it and it noiselessly opens to reveal a stunning boudoir. Cherrywood flooring, sultry scarlet bedsheets, sheer black curtains flowing over the windows; this is living. Taylor gazes around further and sees that an impressive crystal chandelier hangs from the ceiling. Bear fur rugs are placed all around the queen sized bed - which has a red and gold satin canopy proudly standing over it. A desk and mirror sits cozily at the end of the room.  The desk is a soft, worn white; providing a nice contrast to the dark colours of the room. It is laden with many perfumes, pink and beige powders, and little bowls of figs nestling in mounds of ground cinnamon - both very expensive things that Taylor only ever gets at Christmas or her birthday. Makeup brushes, silver back hairbrushes, and different coloured creams in glass containers are neatly placed all around the desk leaving just enough space for someone to sit down in front of it. Taylor imagines Karlie getting ready in the mornings. She wonders what her routine is. Maybe she brushes her teeth first in the washroom and then sits down in front of her mirror and brushes her silky hair.

Taylor thinks about what she owns and counts up a red paste for her lips, one rose powder for her cheeks, and a wooden hairbrush. Oh, and tea tree oil to keep her skin in good condition. But that's about it really. Everyone has toothpaste. Everyone has hand lotion. Taylor wonders what Karlie does after she beautifies herself. Maybe she goes out for strenuous hikes in the airy mountains or calm walks in the dense forests below. Or perhaps she simply jogs downstairs and sits with her family for breakfast. I wonder what Karlie eats for breakfast...

"Are you going to come in any further or are you okay by the door?", Karlie asks from the edge of her bed. She's got an amused grin spread across her face.

Taylor shakes her head to clear her thoughts "Sorry, I'm just overwhelmed", she says with a breathy laugh and a pink tone in her cheeks. "This is so incredible"

Now it's Karlie's turn to blush "I like decorating. You should see my friend Georgia's room. She lives off in St Evangeline. They're all about the golds and pinks and blues down there. Opal Mountaineers love black and reds and silver"

Taylor shuts the door behind her and strolls over to Karlie on the bed. She even takes the time to gaze at the cherrywood floor and the fur rugs before she politely removes her shoes and plops down on the mattress. "What are the other places? We haven't learned much about vampire geography"

Karlie appears to be staring at something on Taylor's face whilst she speaks. Her eagle eyes are pinpointing on Taylor's upper features in particular. Taylor grows conscious and touches her cheeks "Um, what are you looking at? Do I've dirt on my face?"